wx-config for Windows 64-bit MinGW

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
silent_ptr
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wx-config for Windows 64-bit MinGW

Post by silent_ptr »

Hi,

I'm trying to compile a test program using wxWidgets and at first I tried to manually specify libraries required, but I realised that I most likely needed to include EVERY single one individually, which I refuse to do. So then it turns out that wx-config is Unix only, but I found a Windows version (https://github.com/kowey/wx-config-win) which I can't get working, probably due to it being 15 years old.

Is there a more up-to-date way to grab all the libraries required to build on Windows 64-bit MinGW?

Thanks.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: wx-config for Windows 64-bit MinGW

Post by PB »

silent_ptr wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:46 pm ... I realised that I most likely needed to include EVERY single one individually, which I refuse to do.
Seems silly to me. Adding the libraries must take less than 2 minutes, assuming your IDE is worth anything (and it is trivial to copy&paste to a makefile). You can also create a template project and then just copy it when needed. Additionally, an IDE (e.g., Code::Blocks or CodeLite) may provide a wxWidgets project wizard that does that for you.
silent_ptr wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:46 pm I found a Windows version (https://github.com/kowey/wx-config-win) which I can't get working, probably due to it being 15 years old.
The most recent (maintained) Windows wx-config I am aware of is the one bundled with CodeLite. It is just a single file and does not depend on any 3rd party libs so it is also easy to self-build.

But even that one has issues (e.g. this) but they may not affect you. Once again, it is not an official tools supported by wxWidgets developers, so...

Obviously, one can also use CMake to generate the project.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: wx-config for Windows 64-bit MinGW

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
What kind of "test program" you are trying to compile?
One of the samples? Demos? Test suite for wxWidgets?

All of those above has appropriate Makefiles.

If you are trying to compile the "Hello World" you found inside the documentation - the easiest solution would be to copy and paste its code inside the minimal sample and use provided Makefile to build it.

If there is something else - please explain.

Thank you.