Slow linking when using MinGW

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
xee
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Slow linking when using MinGW

Post by xee » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:43 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm using the latest version of MinGW, compiling a hello-world sized applications that uses wxWidgets 2.6.2 takes around 2 minutes 4 seconds.

I know MinGW is slow when compiling, but I did a simple test to check what consuming so much time, I deleted the exe, then tried to build again, it took 1 minute 20 seconds, so it is linking that is using so much time.

I know that are a couple of threads here talking about speeding up MinGW, but none of them mentioned speeding up the linking, not the compiling.

I don't think that using precompiled headers will speed up linking.

what about using wx as a shared library(dll)?
any other ideas?

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:39 am

Hi!
In general linking is the slow process, regardless of what compiler you use.

The best setup is IHMO to have wxWidgets compiled as a DLL for debugging and as a multilib or monolithic lib for releasing your app.

If you need a faster compiler, maybe try the free command line tools for MS. I'm not sure about any license issues with it. For an IDE you could use Code::Blocks. From what I've heard, the wxDev-C++ guys are trying to implement support for the MS compiler, too.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda