libSM dependency

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Proditione
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

libSM dependency

Post by Proditione » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:48 pm

I noticed that wxwidgets requires libsm.so if installed with gcc-7, but does not if installed with gcc-9, this dependency does not appear. I'm not really familiar with reading inputfiles for autotools. Can somebody tell me, when wxwidgets is build with libSM and when not?

Thank you

stahta01
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: libSM dependency

Post by stahta01 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:18 pm

I see no where in code that agrees with your theory of GCC version making a different.

But, I do see the configure option "--enable-detect_sm" that implies that X windows might make a difference.

Tim S.

Proditione
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Proditione » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:08 am

I use Spack to build wxwidgets, so it might be that some magic happens in one of the dependencies of spack. But I would be suprised, since spack does not build its own libSM (wxwidgets libraries are linked against the global libSM installation). I just use another gcc compiler version. But if wxwidgets does not differentiate within compiler versions regarding libSM, maybe its due to spack after all. I'll compare the installed dependencies and check the used installation flags.

stahta01
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by stahta01 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:22 am

I did see a location in the configure where it tests if the sm library is required to run test code.
The compiler might change whether the test code in configure return yes or no.

Tim S.