How the hell do I get up and running?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
SappyB
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

How the hell do I get up and running?

Post by SappyB » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 am

I'm running Xcode 11.4 on MacOs 10.15.2. I code in C++. I cannot get up and running for the life of me. It's been days of trying to figure this out, and my hairline is receding each attempt.

I first followed this tutorial – (https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/plat_osx_install.html) - with success.

I then tried this – (https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Creating_Xco ... plications) ... BUT stopped at the
"Go to "XCode > Preferences > Downloads" and install the 'command line tools'" part because Xcode doesn't have a "Downloads" under Preferences.

Then, I couldn't make a New Project that's under "Cocoa Application" (it doesn't appear as an option in the menu!). So I said, "screw it", I'm going to just going to start a Console Application, and copy+paste the Hello World App that I found here: (https://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/overv ... world.html)

I dragged and dropped the '/include/wx' into my project, tried to build, and BAM it says "Lexical or Preprocessor Issue > wx/wxprec.h > wx/defs.h (file not found)". It's literally right there in the wx file. I can see it with my eyes.

I will sell my soul for any help on how to get up and running. If anyone can help me, I will greatly appreciate it!!

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: How the hell do I get up and running?

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi, and welcome to wxWidgets,
SappyB wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 am
I'm running Xcode 11.4 on MacOs 10.15.2. I code in C++. I cannot get up and running for the life of me. It's been days of trying to figure this out, and my hairline is receding each attempt.

I first followed this tutorial – (https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/plat_osx_install.html) - with success.
So you were able to compile both the library and the samples? This is good.
SappyB wrote:
I then tried this – (https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Creating_Xco ... plications) ... BUT stopped at the
"Go to "XCode > Preferences > Downloads" and install the 'command line tools'" part because Xcode doesn't have a "Downloads" under Preferences.
If you successfully compiled the library and the samples, you already have the command line tools installed. No need to do it second time.
SappyB wrote:
Then, I couldn't make a New Project that's under "Cocoa Application" (it doesn't appear as an option in the menu!). So I said, "screw it", I'm going to just going to start a Console Application, and copy+paste the Hello World App that I found here: (https://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/overv ... world.html)
Are you able to open the minimal.xcodeproject file inside the Xcode?
If yes - are you able to compile it? If not - what is the error you receive?
SappyB wrote:
I dragged and dropped the '/include/wx' into my project, tried to build, and BAM it says "Lexical or Preprocessor Issue > wx/wxprec.h > wx/defs.h (file not found)". It's literally right there in the wx file. I can see it with my eyes.

I will sell my soul for any help on how to get up and running. If anyone can help me, I will greatly appreciate it!!
Thank you.

oyfeldman
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by oyfeldman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:40 am

I have completed the steps above and tried to run minimal_cocoa.xcodeproj. It build successfully but I did have a lot of warnings, semantic issues and value conversion issues as well as deprecations. I uploaded a screenshot of some of the errors. I was wondering if this was normal as well as where to go from here after building my library? I am trying build a GUI and would love some advice on where to start.

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:10 am

Hi,
What you could try is to add your files to the minial.xcodeproject, compile and try to run the application.

Thank you.

Cunoo
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Cunoo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:25 pm

i have same problem some help please,?

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi,
Please describe what exactly is the problem.
Are you able to build and run the minimal sample either from the Terminal or from the Xcode?
If not - what is happening when you try?

Thank you.

Cunoo
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Cunoo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am

; wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 pm
Hi,
Please describe what exactly is the problem.
Are you able to build and run the minimal sample either from the Terminal or from the Xcode?
If not - what is happening when you try?

Thank you.
yes i can but i have warnings look under...

but from xcode tutorial told me "create new project in xcode and select cocoa app" but this choice didnt show me ...
have you discord or something like that ?

i can compile minimal_cocoa but i have this warnings.. if its ok what can i do next ?
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 13.47.38.png
Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 13.47.38.png (104.07 KiB) Viewed 132 times

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi,
Can you run the sample from the Xcode? Those are just warnings...

Now all you do is add new file to that project and remove the minimal.cpp. or copy the minimal sample folder somewhere and do the same.

Thank you.

Cunoo
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Cunoo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 pm

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm
Hi,
Can you run the sample from the Xcode? Those are just warnings...

Now all you do is add new file to that project and remove the minimal.cpp. or copy the minimal sample folder somewhere and do the same.

Thank you.
this is minimal folder i dont have in sample xcodeproj file so i cant compile it...

i compile wxwidgets/sample/minimal with succes..
wxwidgets/sample dont have xcode or cpp file..
and wxwidgets/build-cocoa-debug same dont have xcodeproj...
Last edited by Cunoo on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi,
What do you mean?
There is definitely Xcode project file inside the samples/minimal folder.

Just copy that folder somewhere, fix the include/library path, remove the minimal.cpp and add you own source files.

Thank you.

Cunoo
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Cunoo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:47 pm

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:45 pm
Hi,
What do you mean?
There is definitely Xcode project file inside the samples/minimal folder.

Just copy that folder somewhere, fix the include/library path, remove the minimal.cpp and add you own source files.

Thank you.
i find include file is this libs ? but is this enough ? but i think i need something other do soo what ?..

thank you for answer

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi,
What do you mean?
What did you do and where are you stuck?

Thank you.