Errors compiling wxWidget3.1.3 with Borland C++ 5.5

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Peter S
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Errors compiling wxWidget3.1.3 with Borland C++ 5.5

Post by Peter S » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:45 am

Hi, I am having trouble compiling wxWidgets using Borland C++ 5.5. Yes, I know some people say BCC5.5 is an old compiler from the dark ages and shouldn't be used now. But wxWidgets documentation states that is is supported so why not use it? We have many projects created using Borland 5.5, and I did use wxWidgets on projects some years ago with no problems (I don't know what version). And using CodeBlocks IDE but no issues with that.
Anyway, when I do the "make -f makefile.bcc" command, I get various errors which I have been working my way through trying to resolve one by one. For example, stdint.h and stdbool.h missing from Borland, intptr_t not recognised, signed long long not recognised, bad entropy declaration in xmlparse.c, size_t not recognised, ctype.h/cstring.h includes missing, etc etc etc.
So, what I am really asking is...
Does anyone have any success with using wxWidgtes version 3.1.3 with Borland 5.5 ???
If so, what issues did you have?
Thanks.

doublemax

Re: Errors compiling wxWidget3.1.3 with Borland C++ 5.5

Post by doublemax » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:14 am

The documentation in <wx>/docs/msw/install.md says:
WARNING: Borland instructions are out of date, please send us your
corrections if you are using it with wxWidgets 3.0.
Try asking again on the wx-users mailing list/Google group where you can reach the core wx developers, if you don't get an answer here.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wx-users
Use the source, Luke!

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi,
Borland C++5.5 is seriously outdated.
Even if you succeed, I doubt the patch can be applied, because it was released pretty much around the time MSVC 6, and this compiler support is already out.

There is no template support, no STL, no C++11, at least.

So, unless you want to maintain your own copy of the library built with that version - I'd suggest to upgrade.

Besides, even if you fix all errors 3.1.3 - you will have to make it available for Git master first.

Good luck.

PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Keep in mind that wxWidgets also relies on a bunch of a 3rd party libraries (image formats, zlib, expat, scintilla...) which probably have no intention to support a compiler released 20 years ago. Appveyor does not support BC either so there is no way to test changes in the wxWidgets codebase.

Considering severe lack of available resources (time) of the tiny team of wxWidgets core developers, I would guess there is little to none interest to invest any time or effort to making sure wxWidgets builds and keeps building with BC.

FWIW, a couple of months back I tried the most recent Borland (or whatever it is called these days) free C++ compiler and wxWidgets did not built with it either.

stahta01
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by stahta01 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:24 am

I just tried building a recent git master and I gave up on "src\stc\scintilla\lexers\LexEDIFACT.cxx".

Code: Select all

Error E2356 ..\..\src\stc\scintilla\lexers\LexEDIFACT.cxx 118: Type mismatch in redeclaration of '__stdcall LexerEDIFACT::Lex(unsigned int,int,int,IDocument *)'
Error E2344 ..\..\src\stc\scintilla\lexers\LexEDIFACT.cxx 78: Earlier declaration of '__stdcall LexerEDIFACT::Lex(unsigned int,int,int,IDocument *)'
I see no reason for the above error; I was using "CodeGear C++ 6.10".

Tim S.

Peter S
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Peter S » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:52 am

Thank you stahta01.
Yes that is exactly the same error I came to after hacking fixes for all the previous errors.
Oh well, I guess I will just have to change to mingw compiler, or make projects without wx.
Life is so hard.

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi,
You can also use the MSVC Community Edition.

Thank you.