Can dlls be included for use with makefiles

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Frank_WX
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Can dlls be included for use with makefiles

Post by Frank_WX »

Hello,

When executables built with GCC 8.1 make, or VC 16.0 nmake, that use ddls, display a dialog that states a particular dll is missing and that it should possibly be added. Is this an additional step that needs to be done after running the make file or can it be made part of the make command?

Following is a gcc make command that I am using to attempt to build a wx sample using the wx313 library:

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc CFG=64 BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1 >OUT 2>err08

There might be some errors in the command.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Regards
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Can dlls be included for use with makefiles

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
2 suggestions:

1. Drop the "MONOLITHIC" option. While still supportted it does not win you anything.
2. When you copy that "particular dll" over to the place where executable is - does the dialog go away and you are able to execute the sample?

Thank you.
Frank_WX
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Frank_WX »

@ONEEYEMAN:

Thanks for your response and comments!!

Yes, I have removed both "MONOLITH" and "UNICODE" from all commands. With "BUILD" being set to debug or release and "SHARED" being used or removed, I was able to create commands to generate executables with both VC 16.0 and GCC 8.1.

Yes, After placing the missing dlls in the directories with the appropriate executable, the sample works. I just realized that make and nmake built the executables ok, but need the dlls in the same directory as the exe to run. I had to use post-build steps to accomplish that with the VS2019 and C::B IDEs. I'm guessing now that, for make and nmake, I'll have to move the appropriate dlls in with the exe. I'll experiment with a @ file of commands later.

Regards
Last edited by Frank_WX on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

You know you can build wxWidgets in static configuration (not using SHARED at all, or SHARED=0) and then no wxWidgets DLL will be needed?

You can even build wxWidgets and your app both with MSVC and GCC so that no compiler runtime libraries are needed, so that your program does not require any DLLs.
Frank_WX
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Frank_WX »

@PB
Thanks for response and comment This was the first time that I've ever used make or nmake. I did build executables with both MSVC and GCC; both with and without dlls. I haven't tried doing it with @ command files yet, but will?!

Regards