[SOLVED] CB or wxWidgets issue?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
dcbdbis
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

[SOLVED] CB or wxWidgets issue?

Post by dcbdbis »

I don't know if this is a codeblocks issue or a wxWidgets issue.

Previous builds work just fine (wxWidgets 3.0.4). I have two identical systems. One that is not networked for military projects, and another that is. They are both on Arch Linux, CB 17:12, with both OS's at the same service levels.

On my main workstation(networked) I downloaded and built wxWidgets 3.1.3 today, and installed it to /usr/local. ld.so.conf was updated. On the networked workstation - I had no issues porting an app from wxWidgets 3.0.4 to 3.1.3. Obviously the wxflags had to be modified to point to the newer install. The app built and ran fine in both release and debug builds.

I repeated my steps for the air-gapped workstation. Including going through the project build options to ensure that I had changed EVERYTHING to point to the new wx-config, the new includes, removing the old link libraries and linking in the new libs (static but not monolithic), etc.

On the "air-gapped" workstation (which requires manual copying of updates and files via a USB HDD)....The application builds fine, yet I get the attached error when I try to debug.

No such issues on the networked workstation.

I have been through the build options a dozen times to ensure that everything has been modified - and the CB setup of the two workstations is identical, both in the global compiler settings, and in the project build options. Both build, one runs, the other doesn't.

The issue is the wx 3.0 file referenced in the below screencap has me puzzled. Is this coming from CB or wxWidgets? Do I need to rebuild CB against wx 3.1.3? I will if I need to. I can find no reference to this wx 3.0 lib at all in the project options, nor the global compiler settings, nor the linker.

I have no idea where to look next.

Pointers and assistance will be very much appreciated.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Edit: I did a clean build of wx3.1.3 on each workstation. No copying a already built wx library from one machine to another. And the exact same configure options too.

Edit #2: configure options: --disable-shared --with-gtk=3
Attachments
CodeBlocksError.png
CodeBlocksError.png (32.28 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Last edited by dcbdbis on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alys666
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: CB or wxWidgets issue?

Post by alys666 »

if everything is identical, could you try to run binary from machine 1 on machine 2? and vice versa.
if effect is the same - then something is different on this machines.
also you could compare two binaries, on size, symbols inside, binary equivalence, etc.
and finally you could build app for testing using make or cmake, to exclude effect of CB.
ubuntu 20.04, wxWidgets 3.2.1
dcbdbis
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: CB or wxWidgets issue?

Post by dcbdbis »

Unfortunately for me.....I am not allowed to share binaries between the secure workstation, and the networked workstation. Contractually - they must remain completely segregated.

Same distro - same packages. I moved the pacman package list to the secure workstation at setup time via Sneakernet - so both systems even have the exact same package list!

The only difference is hardware. The secure workstation is Intel based - and as it has no networking even installed - I am using the "mitigations=off" kernel parameter.

My personal workstation is on a AMD Threadripper - 1950. The secure workstation is on a Intel Core i7 6900K.

I know - this is a real wierd one. If I could understand who is throwing that error - Codeblocks - or my wxWidgets 3.1.3 build. I strongly suspect it is a setting buried deep in CodeBlocks - but I'll be damned if I can find it!

I even issued from the CLI "echo $PATH" on both machines to see if one had a different order from my ld.so.conf.d tweaks. Nope. They are identical!

Dave
dcbdbis
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: [SOLVED] CB or wxWidgets issue?

Post by dcbdbis »

It was my wxWidgets build.

I built it all as a static library in anticipation of doing a static link.....I "make uninstall"'d it, cleaned it, and rebuilt it as a shared library. Both systems are operating normally, and the default "About" reports in as wxWidgets 3.1.3 as it should.

I have no answers as to why....I can only tell you what I did - and that it works now....

Dave
alys666
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by alys666 »

CB, as i remember has his original build system. May be it somehow connected with it.
May be better to use cmake and custom build to avoid such errors.
In my builds i use cmake and it never failed or something. But i use custom IDE which generates cmake files automatically.
ubuntu 20.04, wxWidgets 3.2.1
dcbdbis
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by dcbdbis »

Thank you for the reply. I did not build it with CB. I built it manually with the old configure, make, sudo make install paradigm.

The static libs were not monolithic. The only difference was static vs shared libraries.

And no - I have no idea why!

:-)

Dave