Installation Instructions wxWidgets 3.1.2 + Code Blocks 17.12 and wxFormBuilder

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Ken_SF
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Installation Instructions wxWidgets 3.1.2 + Code Blocks 17.12 and wxFormBuilder

Post by Ken_SF »

Hi,

I am a Newbe who struggled to get wxWidgets installed, then to work smoothly with Code Blocks using the gcc compiler with wxFormBuilder.
I decided to create installation instructions for other Newbes that follow in my footsteps. I presume the reader has some programming experience, but not necessarily in C++.

The document is a detailed step-by-step guide that covers the following:

1) Install wxWidgets 3.1.2, Code Blocks and wxFormBuilder on Windows 7 Pro.

2) Get wxWidgets to work smoothly with Code Blocks 17.12 (includes how I setup Search Directories, Linker Settings and global variables).

3) Create a Minimal project using wxWidgets on Code Blocks that compiles.

4) Explain why the ..\samples\Minimal project supplied with wxWidgets does not compile from within Code Blocks and give instructions on how to compile.

5) Add controls to a mimimal wxWidgets project using wxFormBuilder and connecting a few of the events (button click, text box, mouse over and mouse exit) to functions in the code blocks project.

6) Same as item (5) above, except this time, with subclassing so future wxFormBuilder changes are preserved.

Special thanks to Doublemax for encouraging me to create these help documents and for reviewing their content.

I welcome suggestions to improve the documents.

You can download the documents in pdf or word format from my OneDrive account:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqbl3kJDjWukm2it3jH ... R?e=IqM87a

Ken
doublemax

Re: Installation Instructions wxWidgets 3.1.2 + Code Blocks 17.12 and wxFormBuilder

Post by doublemax »

Thanks to Ken for doing this.

If anyone has questions or suggestions for improvements, please don't post here, open a new topic about it.
Use the source, Luke!