macOS Compile error (git master 3.1.3) property 'effectiveAppearance' not found Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
rocrail
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

macOS Compile error (git master 3.1.3) property 'effectiveAppearance' not found

Post by rocrail »

Hi,

after a git pull, and a new configure command:

Code: Select all

../configure --enable-unicode --with-osx_cocoa --with-macosx-sdk=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk --with-macosx-version-min=10.14 --enable-graphics_ctx --enable-monolithic --enable-compat28 --disable-mediactrl
I get the following compile error:

/Users/rob/Projects/wxWidgets/macbuild/bk-deps g++ -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.14 -c -o monodll_generic_caret.o  -D__WXOSX_COCOA__      -DWXBUILDING -I/Users/rob/Projects/wxWidgets/macbuild/src/tiff/libtiff -I../src/tiff/libtiff -I../src/jpeg -I../src/png  -I../src/regex  -I../src/stc/scintilla/include -I../src/stc/scintilla/lexlib -I../src/stc/scintilla/src -D__WX__ -DSCI_LEXER -DNO_CXX11_REGEX -DLINK_LEXERS -DwxUSE_BASE=1 -DWXMAKINGDLL  -dynamic -fPIC -DPIC -Wall -Wundef -Wunused-parameter -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-deprecated-declarations -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/Users/rob/Projects/wxWidgets/macbuild/lib/wx/include/osx_cocoa-unicode-3.1 -I../include -O2 -fno-common -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden ../src/generic/caret.cpp
../src/osx/carbon/utilscocoa.mm:630:48: error: property 'effectiveAppearance' not found on object of type '__kindof NSApplication *'
        NSAppearance.currentAppearance = NSApp.effectiveAppearance;
How can I solve this compile error?
macOS=10.14.3
Best regards,
Rob.
https://wiki.rocrail.net
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: macOS Compile error (git master 3.1.3) property 'effectiveAppearance' not found

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
This trype of things are better reported to the wx-dev ML. This forum is for users of the library and it is managed by the users.

In the meantime check the commit log here and if you don't see anything as a possible fix, please send an e-mail to wx-dev ML.
When you do, put in complete configure line you used and make sure you did completely remove the old build directory (no old remnants).

Thank you.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: macOS Compile error (git master 3.1.3) property 'effectiveAppearance' not found

Post by evstevemd »

1. Does it work when you compile stable version?
2. do you really need wx28 compatibilty (see --enable-compat28)?
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
rocrail
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by rocrail »

Yes, the stable version is OK.
The Git master was also OK until last week.
I use the master because of the Dark Theme support.
Best regards,
Rob.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Just for test - can you create a clean checkout and try to compile?

Thank you.
rocrail
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by rocrail »

Thanks!
That did the trick.

So make clean and configure does not always get it straight.
Best regards,
Rob.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
I usually remove the build directory completely and the create it again. Something like

cd wxWidgets
rm -rf buildGTK
mkdir buildGTK
../configure...... && make
Remember the build creates the hidden directories which are not removed by "make clean". Why - I don't know.

Thank you.