Install which libwxgtk version?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
spflanze
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Install which libwxgtk version?

Post by spflanze »

What is the appropriate version number of libwxgtk to install to use with wxWidgets 3.0.3 and Code::Blocks?

Do the version numbers need to match so that it would be libwxgtk3.0?
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-upda ... gtk3.0-dev

Or should it be the latest which is libwxgtk3.1?
http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/WxWidgets31Binaries

My OS is Ubuntu 16.04
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Install which libwxgtk version?

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

Your question seems a bit confused:
to use with wxWidgets 3.0.3
You don't install a wx package to use with wxWidgets; the package is wxWidgets.
and Code::Blocks?
That's irrelevant. You install whichever wxWidgets, then change your C::B compiler and linker settings to point to that install.

So the question should really be: which wxWidgets version is 'better'? wx3.0.2 from the xenial-updates package, wx3.1.1 from http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/WxWidgets31Binaries, wx3.0.4 from http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/WxWidgets30Binaries or (less sensibly) wx3.0.3 from http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/WxWidgets303Binaries.

And only you can answer your question. If you have some compelling reason why the version must be wx3.0.3 then install that. If you intend to package and distribute your program to other xenial users then use the xenial wx3.0.2. If you want the latest-and-greatest wx version, then either wx3.0.4 (which is the 'stable' branch) or 3.1.1 ('development').

For most programs it will make no difference which you choose.

Regards,

David
spflanze
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by spflanze »

When I started the project wxWidgets 3.0.3 was the latest and greatest. When wxWidgets 3.0.4 came out I attempted to upgrade the project to it and got a lot of errors I did not have time to solve. So I reverted to wxWidgets 3.0.3.

wxWidgets 3.0.3 is the version I will use to the project's completion. The question is which version of libwxgtk to use with it.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

wxWidgets 3.0.3 is the version I will use to the project's completion. The question is which version of libwxgtk to use with it.
Please read my previous post more carefully. libwxgtk is wxWidgets.

Of the above options, the best match with what you say you want is wx3.0.3 from http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/WxWidgets303Binaries.
When wxWidgets 3.0.4 came out I attempted to upgrade the project to it and got a lot of errors I did not have time to solve.
Are you sure it was the version change that caused those errors? It's more likely to have been a failure to get your C::B compiling/linking settings correct.
spflanze
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by spflanze »

I already have wxWidgets 3.0.3 installed, and it is what I have been using since the this project was started. I had too much trouble upgrading to wxWidgets 3.0.4 and really does not matter why. The errors I got when I tried wxWidgets 3.0.4 meant that I did not have time to get working in that version. I am not going to change wxWidgets versions. My question is what version(s) of libwxgtk should be used with wxWidgets 3.0.3?
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

I'll reply as simply as I can, because you've failed to understand my previous attempts to answer.
I already have wxWidgets 3.0.3 installed
Then you already have libwxgtk installed, and its version is 3.0.3.
spflanze
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by spflanze »

So libwxgtk is included in a wxWidgets installation. Up to now I thought it was an additionally required installation, and that I might have corrupted my wxWidgets installation by doing this.

I am going to remove and reinstall wxWidgets 3.0.3.

Thanks for your help.

When I upgraded Code::Blocks from 12.11 to 17.12 I had to create a new project file. The one created in 12.11 did not work 17.12. In that new project file attempts to compile produced errors that all the wxWidgets classes I used were undefined. In my search to find out why Code::Blocks did not know where wxWidgets 3.0.3 was installed I did the libwxgtk installation.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
You are confused.
There are 2 libraries that should be installed on you system libgtk which is an underlying library on *nix and libwx which wxWidgets.

Which one you are asking about?

Thank you.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

So libwxgtk is included in a wxWidgets installation.
Yes, on Linux, if you configure in the usual way. You can create a 'base-only' build that has no gui, but a standard ../configure --with-gtk, or even just ../configure, will build libwxgtk.
I am going to remove and reinstall wxWidgets 3.0.3.
Well, that should do no harm...
When I upgraded Code::Blocks from 12.11 to 17.12 I had to create a new project file. The one created in 12.11 did not work 17.12. In that new project file attempts to compile produced errors that all the wxWidgets classes I used were undefined. In my search to find out why Code::Blocks did not know where wxWidgets 3.0.3 was installed I did the libwxgtk installation.
You need to look at your C::B Compiler and Linker settings. Hard-wire /usr/local/bin/wx-config if that's not already present.