Going to MSVC2017

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Going to MSVC2017

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Yesterday I downloaded and installed MSVC 2017 Community because I needed a full compatibility with the C++11 standard that I have on *nix/Mac.
The installation went fine.
Next I opened wx_vc15.sln and tried to compile everything (I'm using wx-3.1.0).

Here are the results.

The "Help->About" menu says:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017 Version 15.7.5.

I'm sure that all those are fixed already on Git HEAD, but its not in 3.1.0 yet.
However, I'd rather patch this locally, because I am running patched version of 3.1 on *nix/Mac (hopefully Vadim will find time to review and apply my patches).

Any idea on the fixes?

Thank you.

P.S.: Or maybe I can go to 3.1.1?
doublemax

Re: Going to MSVC2017

Post by doublemax »

I'm pretty sure i've built wxWidgets is VS2017 already in the past, but i can't remember which wx version.

Did you "clean" before building?

Can you try building a "static" release (non DLL) for a test (because these are the only ones i ever use, i never build the DLL configuration).
Use the source, Luke!
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I just tested building wx 3.1.0 with VS2017, no problems with either static or DLL version.
Use the source, Luke!
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

MSVC 2017 was released in March 2017. Last commit tagged for wxWidgets 3.1.0 was on Feb 28, 2016, I do not see the solution for VS2017 (wx_vc15.sln) there: https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/ ... /build/msw

OTOH, wxWidgets provide prebuilt MSVC 2017 libraries even for 3.04 version (probably built via makefiles), so...
catalin

Post by catalin »

Could it be that you compiled without cleaning older build files, from a different VS?
ONEEYEMAN wrote:I downloaded and installed MSVC 2017 Community because I needed a full compatibility with the C++11 standard
I find it really, really hard to believe that MS waited until 2017 to have C++11 support..
ONEEYEMAN wrote:Next I opened wx_vc15.sln and tried to compile everything (I'm using wx-3.1.0).
Indeed, through what magic did you do that? That file was not there in 3.1.0, which again points to a mixup.
ONEEYEMAN wrote:I'm sure that all those are fixed already on Git HEAD, but its not in 3.1.0 yet.
Whether VS2017 fixes were needed or not, they will never be in 3.1.0 which is merely a code tag. But since 3.1.1 is out for a while now, are there any polemics left to debate?
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
catalin wrote: Could it be that you compiled without cleaning older build files, from a different VS?
Possible.
I am trying to do a clean rebuild right now.
catalin wrote:
ONEEYEMAN wrote: I downloaded and installed MSVC 2017 Community because I needed a full compatibility with the C++11 standard
I find it really, really hard to believe that MS waited until 2017 to have C++11 support..
Well, I know MSVC 2010 does not have everything, namely thread support. And trying MSVC 2015 (or whatever the previous version was) was kind of inappropriate.
catalin wrote:
ONEEYEMAN wrote: Next I opened wx_vc15.sln and tried to compile everything (I'm using wx-3.1.0).
Indeed, through what magic did you do that? That file was not there in 3.1.0, which again points to a mixup.
I guess I'm getting old. ;-)
I knew I have 3.1 version - I just forgot which one.
catalin wrote:
ONEEYEMAN wrote: I'm sure that all those are fixed already on Git HEAD, but its not in 3.1.0 yet.
Whether VS2017 fixes were needed or not, they will never be in 3.1.0 which is merely a code tag. But since 3.1.1 is out for a while now, are there any polemics left to debate?
We will see how my rebuild will go...

Thank you.