wx-widgets built incorrectly

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
leonid_from_vega
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wx-widgets built incorrectly

Post by leonid_from_vega »

Hello!

Recently I've tried to build springlobby for the ALT Linux.
The program is working but it has some artifacts in UI.

wx-widgets version is 3.1, here is the spec file of wxgtk3.1 package: (you can see ./configure options there).

I've built wx-widgets 3.1 manually with only --with-gtk=3 and --enable-shared options and then springlobby with it and it is displayed as it should be.

Please help me to find the reason of those UI-problems.
Is wx configured with some "wrong" flags?
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wx-widgets built incorrectly

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,
The program is working but it has some artifacts in UI.
You linked to a bugreport, but perhaps you could also describe what you are seeing that's wrong. The first screenshot in the report shows squashing in a toolbar, and perhaps also problems displaying wxComboBox items in that toolbar. Is that all that's wrong, or did I miss other glitches?
wx-widgets version is 3.1
Which 3.1? wx3.1.0, wx3.1.1 or git HEAD?
here is the spec file of wxgtk3.1 package: (you can see ./configure options there).
It has vast numbers of --(dis)enables :( most of which are unnecessary as they are the same as the defaults. That makes it very hard to guess which (if any) is responsible.
I've built wx-widgets 3.1 manually with only --with-gtk=3 and --enable-shared options and then springlobby with it and it is displayed as it should be
Again, which 3.1 version?

I would guess that this will turn out to be an issue with certain versions of GTK+3. Does your glitch-free self-built wx use the same GTK+3 version as the buggy rpm one ? (BTW you can easily tell which compile and runtime versions of GTK+ that a wx program uses: run the program and do: Ctrl-Alt-Middleclick over it.)

Regards,

David
leonid_from_vega
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by leonid_from_vega »

DavidHart wrote:You linked to a bugreport, but perhaps you could also describe what you are seeing that's wrong. The first screenshot in the report shows squashing in a toolbar, and perhaps also problems displaying wxComboBox items in that toolbar. Is that all that's wrong, or did I miss other glitches?
Also the mouse scroll is not working in tables.
DavidHart wrote:Which 3.1? wx3.1.0, wx3.1.1 or git HEAD?
wx3.1.1

Springlobby gives me following info (Ctrl+Alt+Middleclick).

Code: Select all

glitch-free version info:
-------------------------
Version 3.1.1 (unicode: wchar_t, debug level: 1)

Runtime version of toolkit used is 3.22
Compile-time GTK+ version is 3.22.26

built with system libs: (glitches)
-----------------------
Version 3.1.0 (unicode: wchar_t, debug level: 1)

Runtime version of toolkit used is 3.22
Compile-time GTK+ version is 3.22.26
The system has wx3.1.0 package, so I've downloaded wx3.1.0 and built it & lobby with it and there were glitches too :D
So this might be connected with the wx version.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

So this might be connected with the wx version.
Sounds proven to me :)

Though 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 look close, there was actually a 2 year gap between their releases; time for quite a few fixes. I don't know what ALT's policy is for upgrading packages but, unless they upgrade to 3.1.1 or someone spots the relevant commits and creates patches for the ALT wx3.1.0 package, it looks like Springlobby users who want to avoid the bugs will have to self-build against a self-built wx3.1.1.