Compiling under Ubuntu 16.04 & wxDialUpManager

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Compiling under Ubuntu 16.04 & wxDialUpManager

Post by Widgets »

I am trying to build wxWidgets 3.1.0 under Ubuntu 16.04 with
~/public/wxWidgets-3.1.0/gtk-build$ ../configure --enable-debug --with-gtk3 --prefix=$(pwd) && make -j

but I get the following error:

Code: Select all

make: *** No rule to make target '/home/arnold/Public/wxWidgets-3.1.0/gtk-build/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-static-3.1/wx/setup.h', needed by 'wxregex_regcomp.o'.  Stop.
Even so I can compile a project under Codelite with nothing but warnings and I can run the program, but I still would like to understand the make error because there are some other issues I would like to track down.

The main issue at the moment is why wxDialUpManager is not 'working' - the machine is connected to the 'net, but wxDialUpManager does not report the state of the connection correctly
I have not been able to find any setup.h files to check to see just which options are enabled and I am curious whether the make error is at least part of the cause.
TIA for any help
Environment: Win 10/11 64-bit & Mint 21.1
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Compiling under Ubuntu 16.04 & wxDialUpManager

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
First off, you have a typo:

~/public/wxWidgets-3.1.0/gtk-build$ ../configure --enable-debug --with-gtk=3 --prefix=$(pwd) && make -j
Second, does configure finished without any issues? How did you get the source code for 3.1? Do you see the regex folder inside ~/public/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/?

aBOUT YOU ISSUE WITH WXdIALuPmANAGER - DO YOU HAVE ANY NECESSARY PACKETS INSTALLED AND THE KERNEL OPTIONS TURNED ON? What is an error you receive?

Thank you.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

ONEEYEMAN wrote:First off, you have a typo:
Thank you - I missed that one and had to remove the --with-gtk option altogether.
Without it it all compiles with GTK+ 2 support and my app compiles and runs.
ONEEYEMAN wrote: Second, does configure finished without any issues? How did you get the source code for 3.1? Do you see the regex folder inside ~/public/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/?
It does with those modifications/fixes.
ONEEYEMAN wrote: aBOUT YOU ISSUE WITH WXdIALuPmANAGER - DO YOU HAVE ANY NECESSARY PACKETS INSTALLED AND THE KERNEL OPTIONS TURNED ON? What is an error you receive?
Initially I installed the wxWidgets packages according to this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43241
The reason I went to recompile was to try and get the debug symbols as well as trying to find just what options were set - and I still don't know - so that I could try and trace the call to the dial up manager. I have not tried this again since I recompiled just now, but I do have the source src/unix/dialup.cpp present.
As this is my first major attempts at using wxWidgets under Linux - using Codelite - I am just finding my way around the differences.
And even now, I cannot trace into the wxDialUpManager->Create()
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
wxDialUpManager does not report the state of the connection correctly.
What does it report?
What error message if any did you receive?

Now, in CodeLite all you have to do is to point the properties of the project to your compiled headers/libraries and do a full rebuild.
Make sure you have the debug project specifier for the project.

After that just set a breakpoint and step thru the code.

But again - in order for dial-up to work you have to have some additional things installed.

Also - check the config.log file which is created in the wxWidgets build directory. It might give you clue if something is missing.

Thank you.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: What does it report?
What error message if any did you receive?
no error message - just no output at all. The code I have does work properly under Windows but not under Linux.
ONEEYEMAN wrote: Now, in CodeLite all you have to do is to point the properties of the project to your compiled headers/libraries and do a full rebuild.
Make sure you have the debug project specifier for the project.

After that just set a breakpoint and step thru the code.
That is all done; I can step through my app's code without any problems, I can even step into some of the wxWIdgets code - but not the dial up manager.
ONEEYEMAN wrote: But again - in order for dial-up to work you have to have some additional things installed.
Such as??
ONEEYEMAN wrote: Also - check the config.log file which is created in the wxWidgets build directory. It might give you clue if something is missing.
Thank you for that hint. It is a rather long file and I am still trying to figure out what it is telling me, but I have found that I should be able to use the dial up manager because I see a line:
#define wxUSE_DIALUP_MANAGER 1
and it gives me no errors in compiling or linking in the code which calls it.
Since the actual output from the manager depends on event handling, I will have to look at that more closely - again I really wish I could trace into the code. With this much confirmed, I will have another try at figuring out what the real problem might be.
Again, thank you for your help.
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
coderrc
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by coderrc »

are you running the program as a user that is a member of the groups "dip" and "dialout"?
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

Right now I am mostly running the app under Codelite which is started using sudo.
I have also run it directly, again running it via sudo with my main user being an admin. Every time, it is shown as 'offline' even though I am sure the machine is connected and when I disconnect the network cable, the OS detects this change within a few seconds, but the app does not respond, even when I reconnect the cable.
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Can you try to run the dialup sample?
Maybe even under gdb if it fails with the same problem.

Thank you.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

Yes, I just did - and it tells me the same, in fact it also tells me No LAN
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Did you run it under gdb?
Do you have a modem that is connected to the phone jack?

Thank you.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

I compiled it using Codelite, I have run it under Codelite's debugger and I have run it directly from the command line with sudo ./dialup.
Same result each time.

I don't have a phone modem, but I do have a DSL modem which is connected to a phone line.
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
I'm not sure, but I think that the dial-up manager is for the dial-up modems.
For anything external you should use something else.

Thank you.

P.S.: Are you able to step inside the wx sources for the sample?
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: I'm not sure, but I think that the dial-up manager is for the dial-up modems.
For anything external you should use something else.
All I can say, is that under Windows it does tell me the status of my Internet cable and under Ubuntu it does NOT
ONEEYEMAN wrote: P.S.: Are you able to step inside the wx sources for the sample?
No, under Ubuntu, I can step into the sample code, but I cannot step into the wxWidgets source and I have not yet been able to figure out how to recompile all of the sources under Ubuntu to give me the ability to step into the wxWidgets code.
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
You should do this:

../configure --enable-debug --enable-debug_gdb
make
The first option will add the "-g" option to the compiling command allowing to build with the debugging symbols.
Second is not strictly necessary, but it adds some additional tweaks for the gdb.

And of course you don't have to install the binaries.

Thank you.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

I think I have some ideas about why I cannot step into the library code, but I need to wait for a response/solution from the Codelite forum before I chase this any further
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2