Fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'stddef.h': No such file or directory on clean install

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'stddef.h': No such file or directory on clean install

Post by Karlovsky120 »

So I just did a clean install of Win10 64bit on my computer and have downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise with several Workloads, namely Universal Windows Platform development, Desktop development with C++ and Game development with C++. A several light programs were installed as well, but they should have no effect on SDKs or any of this (7z, MPC-HC and the like)

I have cloned my repository that have worked on my previous install (which was about the same, maybe few minor versions older).

I tired to build the solution and wxWidgets complained about missing 8.1 SDK so I installed that with the VS provided configurator. The Windows 10 SDK (10.0.16299.0) (all variants) were already installed.

And now I'm stumped. wxWidgets is telling me it cannot find stddef.h, which should be a pretty standard C++ file that should come with any of the workloads I mentioned above.

The important thing to note here is that I use wxWidgets as a submodule in my project, so I can't modify any wxWidgets files to get it to work (I technically could but it would get very messy, unless there is a official way to set it up (is there?)).

How do I make my project work at all, and how do I make it work "out of the box", meaning that if someone who has all the required components installed can clone and build my project without any additional fuss of messing with the project setup.

Please help me, I have know idea how to approach this problem. This doesn't make any sense.
Thank you.
doublemax

Re: Fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'stddef.h': No such file or directory on clean install

Post by doublemax »

This is most likely related to the SDK. Someone else had a similar problem not long ago:
viewtopic.php?p=181881#p181881
Use the source, Luke!
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Re: Fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'stddef.h': No such file or directory on clean install

Post by Karlovsky120 »

I googled the error code with wxWidgets so the thread never came up.

So I'd have to retarget the wxWidgets vs15 sln to make it work then.

The problem is, I did some silly things and have circumvented the need of the wxWidgets solution by including the needed projects into my own solution. I might have done other stuff I can't really remember now.

This all seems very hacky and I'm not sure I'm doing what I should to achieve what I want, or I'm at least going the wrong way about it. I've started another post giving more details and asking for guidelines to do what I want the way it's meant to be done.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I've started another post giving more details and asking for guidelines to do what I want the way it's meant to be done.
I'm not a GIT expert, so unfortunately i can't help with that.
Use the source, Luke!
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Karlovsky120 »

It's not really about the git.

The only thing git will do is it will pull the wxWidgets repository and put it in a folder. And I'd like to know how to build my project around that so it can work and depend on it without changing anything within that folder, unless it's by a script or a tool that I run from somewhere outside that folder.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Keep in mind that unless you explicitly said so, cloning submoidules will give you the Git HEAD of anything.
Unfortunately with anything open-source there is a possibility of breakage.

You are better off using some kind of binary download service from either you own website or public hosting solution.

Or even better - try to use CMake - it has the ability to downloading the binary (I didn't try that, but it looks possible).

Thank you.