wxWidgets as submodule Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxWidgets as submodule

Post by Karlovsky120 »

I have compiled wxWidgets some time ago and used it in my project.

VS2017 got an update recently, and suddenly there is a compiler version mismatch. Also, the library files for wxWidgets exceed over gigabyte in size. I had to zip them up and divide them into parts to have them uploaded to github without hogging all the space.

In order to solve this problems, I wanted to add wxWidgets as a submodule to my repository, import all the wxWidgets projects to my solution, setup dependencies, so that wxWidgets is built before my program, and finally set my program to use to-be generated library files. That would ensure that anyone who (recursively) clones my repository could have my program up and running with a few clicks without any fuss.

However, I've hit a roadblock. You see, all the msw project files are version 9. When I add them to my (version 14 I believe, the latest one at the time of writing?) solution, VS updates the .vcproj files to their modern counterparts, .vcXproj.

Now, every time I clone my repository all wxWidgets projects are unavailable because they don't exist, since the projects are pointing to vcxproj files and .vcproj are the ones available.

How do I go about this to make it work? Am I going about this all wrong?

The basic goal here is to make it possible for someone to clone my repository, click build, and have the program get built in with no fuss (I'm wiling to accept the requirement of several consequential failed builds before the successful one due to the unclear wxWidgets project build order (which would actually be an excellent question for another day).

The solution doesn't need to be the one I described above, but that's the only way I'm aware of that I can make it work. If there is a better way, I'm listening.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: wxWidgets as submodule

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
There is a project/solution file available for MSVC 2017. You probably receiving the old 3.0/3.1 source code.
Try to do a fresh, brand new clone of wx repository.

Thank you.
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Karlovsky120 »

I'm an idiot. I see now they don't have the vc# bit in the name.

Okay, that'll work. Other than that, is the method I'm using okay, or is there a better way?
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
It might be good for Windows/OSX, but for Linux - probably not.
The reason being - every Linux distro has its own repository with the "good" software. And when you install something on Linux you just reference it and the package manager will grab the dependencies from the repo and install it.

I don't know how different distribution do that - you need to consult every single one.
It might even be better to register on different distributions forums and ask such a question.

Good luck.

Thank you.
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Karlovsky120 »

Ehhh, I'll just make it work with VS2017 on Windows for now.