Error when trying to build.

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
randomguy
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Error when trying to build.

Post by randomguy »

I'm trying to get wxWidgets installed, and working with codeblocks. I was following the instructions here:

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Co ... ocks_(MSW)

when I get to the last step during build it always gives the same error. I included an image of the error message. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
error.PNG
doublemax

Re: Error when trying to build.

Post by doublemax »

First of all, you shouldn't have used wx 2.8.12, it's outdated. The current version is 3.0.3.

The page you linked only describes how to build the library itself, not any executable. What this "as.exe" you were trying to run?

You should start by building and running the "minimal" sample that comes with wxWidgets (in <wxdir>/samples/minimal/ ). Once that works, you can try to build a project with CodeBlocks.

I wish CB had proper tutorials, because almost have of the posts in this forum are about CB, not about wxWidgets itself.
Use the source, Luke!
randomguy
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by randomguy »

I'll switch over to 3.0.3 and give it a try again. I really have no idea what as.exe is. I've never heard of it before, and it would just pop up when running "mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc MONOLITHIC=1 SHARED=1 UNICODE=1 BUILD=release"
eranon
Can't get richer than this

Post by eranon »

as.exe is the GNU assembler shipped with MinGW.
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by stahta01 »

To OP: Any reason you are using directions that are marked as obsolete on the CB Wiki?

At least use the newest of the old 2.8 directions!
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Co ... kefile.gcc

Tim S.
randomguy
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by randomguy »

Ok so I'm using 3.0.3. When in codeblocks I'm getting the error:

"Cannot find -lwxmsw30d"
error: ld returned 1 exit status

I tried searching -lwxmsw30d on google, and didn't get anything helpful.
eranon

Post by eranon »

It means your project cannot link to the indicated wxWidgets lib.

It can be because:
- You didn't build it upstream,
- You mispelled its name in the Codeblocks's build options; eg. don't you miss a "u" (for Unicode) before the final "d"?
- You forgotten or mispelled the search path (the one where reside your wxWidgets libs)
- You indicated to use a Codeblocks's global variable as search path and this variable doesn't point the right path (ie. wxWidgets one)
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]