Set up the pre-compiled binaries.

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
HRSherman
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Set up the pre-compiled binaries.

Post by HRSherman »

Hi,
Warning-- I'm a completely new to wxWidgets and somewhat new to Code::Blocks. I want to start learning to create wxWidget GUI applications for Windows. I have downloaded the binaries (32/64 bit) and the source code for wxWidgets. I was hoping to avoid the build from scratch issue for now.
I am pretty much clueless as to what to do next in setting things up so I can continue.
I'm not sure where to install each download and how to set up the IDE to use these libraries. I'll be happy to get ANY help you can give.
I apologize in advance for my great need for "hand holding" in this process. Like I said I'm VERY new to GUI development and these tools.
Thanks for your time.
Rich :)
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Set up the pre-compiled binaries.

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Are you going to use C::B for you development?
Also, I presume you already have a MinGW compiler installed of some sort, right? And you downloaded the binaries that are pre-buuilt for you specific compiler, right? I also presumke that you downloaded binaries for version 3.1, correct?

Thank you.
HRSherman
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by HRSherman »

Hi,
Thanks for responding. :) Yes to all questions. I'm going to be using it to learning GUI programming and wxWidgets in particular. So I will be using a debug compile mostly. But, If I make anything I want to keep or share, I'll want that compiled for release. So I'll need both types.

Regards,
Rich
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
I am not familiar with the pre-built binaries as I'm building the library myself, and I'm using MSVC instead of C::B, but I will try to help you anyway. ;-)

Start C::B IDE.
Go to "File->New {Project}"
Create a new wxWidgets GUI project. Make sure that all options you selected are the match to the binaries you downloaded. This is very important: ALL OPTIONS IN THE PROJECT MUST MATCH THE OPTIONS THE LIBRARY WAS BUILT WITH!!!! Otherwise you will get a problem with compiling/running the project.

I.e. if you downloaded debug, shared libraries make sure you select "Debug" and "Shared" options in C::B.

Create an empty source file. Name it start.cpp. Put some code in it. Compile and execute.

Now here where it comes an interesting part. It is much more convenient to use a code from the minimal sample provided by the library inside wxWidgets/samples/minimal. But you don't have that. So open https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/ ... inimal.cpp and copy the code in you newly created start.cpp.

If you have any problems issues compiling/running don't hesitate to post here and either me or someone else will be able to help you.

Thank you.
HRSherman
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by HRSherman »

Hi again,

I've just installed wxWidgets and done the builds using the instructions on the CodeLite wiki http://codelite.org/Developers/BuildingWxWidgetsWin
successfully. Then I created a new workspace and a new project of type "wxWidgets GUI Application (wxFrame, using wxCrafter)" . No code was added or removed from the generated project code. I then built the project. It compiled, but it did have 129 warning messages.

I'm guessing something must be wrong, because an untouched generated project that actual puts up a window and runs fine, probably should not be generating all these warnings. I'm guessing some setting needs to be added or changed to correct this. I'm having a hard time finding where and what. First let me say, my experience with "makefiles" is VERY limited. After looking around at the generated files I found what looks to be part of the makefile data. My gut tells me something needs to be changed in the include path to stop these warnings. Just a guess at this point.
Here is the info on the build again...

I'm using CodeLite version 10.0.0, and the TDM-GCC-64 comiler setup, and wxWidgets-3.0.3. I have set my environment variables as follows:
CodeLiteDir=C:\Program Files\CodeLite
WXWIN=C:\wxWidgets-3.0.3
WXCFG=gcc_dll\mswud
PATH=C:\wxWidgets-3.0.3\lib\gcc_dll;$PATH;

Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Rich

Here is the compiler generated warnings also.... It's a LONG list. Sorry.

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/mingw32-make.exe -j8 SHELL=cmd.exe -e -f Makefile
"----------Building project:[ wxcFrame - Debug ]----------"
mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame'
C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/windres.exe -i "C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/win_resources.rc" --use-temp-file --define __WXMSW__ --define __WXDEBUG__ --define _UNICODE --include-dir C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/lib/gcc_dll/mswud --include-dir C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include --define WXUSINGDLL -o ./Debug/win_resources.rc.o
C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/g++.exe -c "C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp" -g -O0 -Wall -mthreads -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -D__WXDEBUG__ -D_UNICODE -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/lib/gcc_dll/mswud -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include -DWXUSINGDLL -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=c++11 -o ./Debug/wxcrafter.cpp.o -I. -I.
C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/g++.exe -c "C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter_bitmaps.cpp" -g -O0 -Wall -mthreads -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -D__WXDEBUG__ -D_UNICODE -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/lib/gcc_dll/mswud -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include -DWXUSINGDLL -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=c++11 -o ./Debug/wxcrafter_bitmaps.cpp.o -I. -I.
C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/windres.exe: warning: 24: 1: 1033: duplicate value
C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/g++.exe -c "C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp" -g -O0 -Wall -mthreads -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -D__WXDEBUG__ -D_UNICODE -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/lib/gcc_dll/mswud -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include -DWXUSINGDLL -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=c++11 -o ./Debug/MainFrame.cpp.o -I. -I.
C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/g++.exe -c "C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/main.cpp" -g -O0 -Wall -mthreads -DHAVE_W32API_H -D__WXMSW__ -D__WXDEBUG__ -D_UNICODE -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/lib/gcc_dll/mswud -IC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include -DWXUSINGDLL -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=c++11 -o ./Debug/main.cpp.o -I. -I.
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
In file included from C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/colour.h:14:0,
from C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/settings.h:14,
from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.h:4,
from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:1:
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/event.h:3683:22: note: declared here
virtual bool TryValidator(wxEvent& WXUNUSED(event)), return false; )
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/defs.h:654:43: note: in definition of macro 'wxDEPRECATED'
#define wxDEPRECATED(x) wxDEPRECATED_DECL x
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/event.h:3682:5: note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'
wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE(
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/event.h:3686:22: note: declared here
virtual bool TryParent(wxEvent& event), return DoTryApp(event); )
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/defs.h:654:43: note: in definition of macro 'wxDEPRECATED'
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/event.h:3685:5: note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetVirtualSizeHints(int, int, int, int)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/window.h:459:32: note: declared here
wxDEPRECATED( virtual void SetVirtualSizeHints( int minW, int minH,
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::MakeModal(bool)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/window.h:688:32: note: declared here
wxDEPRECATED( virtual void MakeModal(bool modal = true) );
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated: use SetInitialSize() instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
In file included from C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/xrc/xmlreshandler.h:23:0,
from C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/xrc/xmlres.h:30,
from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.h:5,
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/window.h:1872:13: note: declared here
inline void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize& size)
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/event.h:3682:5: note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/event.h:3685:5: note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetVirtualSizeHints(int, int, int, int)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::MakeModal(bool)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/wxcrafter.cpp:62:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated: use SetInitialSize() instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.h:3,
from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:1:
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetVirtualSizeHints(int, int, int, int)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::MakeModal(bool)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated: use SetInitialSize() instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetVirtualSizeHints(int, int, int, int)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
In file included from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/main.cpp:1:0:
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:885:69: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
#define IMPLEMENT_APP(app) wxIMPLEMENT_APP(app);
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/main.cpp:25:1: note: in expansion of macro 'IMPLEMENT_APP'
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::MakeModal(bool)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/MainFrame.cpp:27:1: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated: use SetInitialSize() instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
}
^
^
In file included from C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/event.h:14:0,
from C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:19,
from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/main.cpp:1:
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:885:69: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
^
C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/main.cpp:25:1: note: in expansion of macro 'IMPLEMENT_APP'
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)
^
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:885:69: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
^
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)
^
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:885:69: warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
^
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)
^
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:885:69: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetVirtualSizeHints(int, int, int, int)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
^
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:885:69: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::MakeModal(bool)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
^
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)
^
^
^
C:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/include/wx/app.h:885:69: warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated: use SetInitialSize() instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
^
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)
^
from C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame/main.cpp:3:
^
C:/TDM-GCC-64/bin/g++.exe -o ./Debug/wxcFrame @"wxcFrame.txt" -L. -mthreads -LC:/wxWidgets-3.0.3/lib/gcc_dll -lwxmsw30ud -lwxscintillad -lwxtiffd -lwxjpegd -lwxpngd -lwxzlibd -lwxregexud -lwxexpatd -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lwxregexud -lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lversion -lshlwapi -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lrpcrt4 -ladvapi32 -lwsock32 -mwindows
mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Richard/Documents/wxcTest/wxcFrame'
====0 errors, 129 warnings====
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I don't use CodeLite, but this looks to me like it creates code that uses deprecated wxWidgets methods. This is not critical, it should be safe to silent the warnings and until CodeLite changes this.

Check the compiler settings, there should be a flag to disable the warnings.
Use the source, Luke!
HRSherman
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by HRSherman »

Ok... I'll do that. Thanks for your help.
:D
Regards,
R.