wxWidgets 3.03 on windows 10 VS 2017

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
wxbolo
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxWidgets 3.03 on windows 10 VS 2017

Post by wxbolo »

Dear Whoever is patient enough to answer this,

I am new to wxwidgets and I am in the learning period. I have successfully installed wxwidgets in Linux with very few hiccups and those could be solved easily. I could compile and run the samples easily either in the terminal or with codeblocks. So far I used Qt and changing to windows wasn't really an issue there. With wxwidgets I have to learn visual studio or do I? Would you recommend using wxwidgets with Codeblocks instead?
I installed visual studio 2017 on windows 10 and started loading in the build/msw/wx_vc12.sln as it was described in the tutorial. Then I loaded the samples which also went well and after re-targeting the projects (which was done by VS-2017 and I am guessing it re-trageted to VS-2015 version - probably ) I right click on the dialogs samples and hit build. It gave an error message:
C:\wxWidgets-3.0.3\include\wx/platform.h(183): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory
1>dialogs.cpp
1>C:\wxWidgets-3.0.3\include\wx/platform.h(183): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory
1>Generating Code...
1>Done building project "dialogs.vcxproj" -- FAILED.

The error message is correct meaning that there is no setup.h in include wx folder it is in the include msvs/wx folder (being the only one header in that folder)

My question is whether vs-2017 should have recognized where the setup.h is or do I have to modify all the platform.h files with the correct path to the setup.h? Is it possible to tell vs-2017 where to look for the setup.h file like in codeblocks?

Thanks
wxB.
doublemax

Re: wxWidgets 3.03 on windows 10 VS 2017

Post by doublemax »

Start with the "minimal" sample alone before you try other samples.

Most likely you use a different configuration when building the wxWidgets libraries vs. when you built the sample.

Manually editing any header files should not be necessary.
Use the source, Luke!
wxbolo
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by wxbolo »

Hi,

The 'minimal' example gives the exact same error. I have cleaned and rebuilt the wx_vc12 and all the libraries are built without error message and they are located all in the /lib/vc_lib and mswud has the headers and for some reason visual studio 2017 does not take them and I have difficulties finding how to set the library path and includes path in vs-2017.
Thanks anyway I think I am going to stay at Linux only at the moment and figure out vs-2017 later which seems some very over-complicated software lacking basic capabilities to set compilation processes or I have not found a good description of them.

thanks
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I haven't tried VS2017 yet, but i can assure you that with VS2015 it works out of the box.

You could also try the latest wxWidgets version from GIT, maybe it contains some adjustments for VS2017.
Use the source, Luke!
wxbolo
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by wxbolo »

Hi,

After repeating all the procedure apart from allowing vs-2017 to re-target the project(I still dont know exactly to what) everything seems to be working and the samples compiled.I guess I have a whole lot to read about VS-2017! :)

Thanks