How do I Compile wxWidgets Sample Code? Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
ColleenKobe
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: How do I Compile wxWidgets Sample Code?

Post by ColleenKobe »

ONEEYEMAN wrote:Colleen,
Keep in mind that if you did modify the sources and you plan to use the modified version you need to make it available on the server somewhere clearly marked so that you, your boss or anyone who come after you will know that you used the modified sources and not the official release.
No, I didn't modify any code. I just used the versions I downloaded. But I did delete my old downloads before installing new downloads.
ONEEYEMAN wrote:It is good idea to create your own fork of wxWidgets along with your software on GitHib and then clearly document where to grab everything and how to do the build. Or just save everything on the server and again clearly document everything.
I don't understand. Are you talking about installing GitHub on my employer's server? It's not going to happen. Several times, I've brought up the importance of having version-tracking and release software. My project engineer resists.

Is there a "for beginners" documentation folder somewhere? If there's nothing similar out there already, I'd like to post my how-to directions in that folder. Perhaps I can save a future wxWidgets beginner some time, so he or she can get started quicker than I did.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

ColleenKobe wrote:Is there a "for beginners" documentation folder somewhere? If there's nothing similar out there already, I'd like to post my how-to directions in that folder. Perhaps I can save a future wxWidgets beginner some time, so he or she can get started quicker than I did.
As I have written in this thread many times, there is WXWIN/docs/msw/install.txt that IMO contains all necessary information on how to install wxWidgets and add it to an application.

Obviously, if you are new to C++ it can be overwhelming but wxWidgets documentation is not the place to teach people C++ or how to use the compiler/IDE of their choice.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Colleen,
If you compile the source code successfully without modification then you don't have to do anything.
Just as long as you document the build process clearly for you software.

And then you should persuade management to use version control. People are divided in 10 equal group - one that do backups and one that never had a hardware failure. (C)

Thank you.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

You can just use a local (i.e. the repository is on your computer) VCS at worst. I do not know whether GIT can be used like this but SVN certainly can (or at least could many years ago).
archman007
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by archman007 »

The simplest way to build the samples code is to traverse to the build locaion (~/apps/wxWidgets-3.1.4/build/samples) and invoke the make command (make -j4). All the samples are built for subsequent perusal and executions.