Using 2 versions of Visual Studio Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
New Pagodi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Using 2 versions of Visual Studio

Post by New Pagodi »

I've decided to start experimenting with Visual Studio 2017, but I'm not going to get rid of 2015 just yet.

What's the best way to use the 2 versions with wxWidgets? Should you just use 2 separated wxWidgets folders, or should I add decorations to the library names to distinguish between them?

I'm thinking that separate folders would be better, but I thought I should get some second opinions. Thank you.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Using 2 versions of Visual Studio

Post by PB »

I think having two separate whole wxWidgets folders is the simplest, if you want to switch between different MSVC builds, you just change where WXWIN points to.

I actually have two builds (built with different COMPILER_PREFIX) under a single wxWidgets folder - MSVC9 (vc_lib) and MSVC14 (vc14_lib) but switching between the versions is not as simple as one has to change folder names in the project (and of course, unlike MSVC 15 and 17, MSVC 9 and 15 have different project files format).
New Pagodi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: Using 2 versions of Visual Studio

Post by New Pagodi »

Thanks.