wxWidgets 3.0.3 vs 3.0.2, gtk2/gtk3 issues.

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
AshtonC1
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

wxWidgets 3.0.3 vs 3.0.2, gtk2/gtk3 issues.

Post by AshtonC1 »

I think I made an error by installing wxWidgets 3.0.3, in a notebook PC with gtk3, that I want to use with my wxWidgets 3.0.2 apps from another PC.
I'm feeling this is causing an error indicating I'm mixing gtk2 and gtk3 symbols in the same project.

Code: Select all

(wxSQLi_417:10900): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
My system is : Linux Mint 18.1, Code::Blocks 16.01, wxWidgets.

So what is the cleanest method to remove wxWidgets 3.0.3, and or change from gtk3 to gtk2?
Not simply installing wxWidgets 3.0.2 with gtk2 at this point?
Last edited by AshtonC1 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 vsl 3.0.2, gtk2/gtk3 issues.

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

How did you install it?

Presumably you mean you built it from source. If so, what was your configure line?

Have you tried anything so far e.g. 'make uninstall'?

Regards,

David
AshtonC1
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 vsl 3.0.2, gtk2/gtk3 issues.

Post by AshtonC1 »

I think I used this method:

$ sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev build-essential checkinstall
$ mkdir gtk-build
$ cd gtk-build/

$ ../configure --disable-shared --enable-unicode
$ make
$ sudo checkinstall

I haven't tried anything yet, didn't want to make things worse.
I hated to blow up my other working apps until I have a high-confidence fix plan.

Its strange that most all of my imported wxWidgets projects in Code::Blocks can be quickly tweaked to run fine, except for one.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 vs 3.0.2, gtk2/gtk3 issues.

Post by DavidHart »

../configure --disable-shared --enable-unicode
So you didn't specify --with-gtk=2 or 3. If that machine has both gtk+ dev packages installed it will have defaulted to 2. You should be able to find out by doing, in a terminal, wx-config --list

Rereading your original post, I'm not sure what you are trying to do. If you wanted a gtk+3 wx build, you probably got one. You could then build your program against it and it should run on that machine. It might also run elsewhere, but only if all of the necessary dependencies are available there and API compatible; which they often won't be.

Presumably your program links to wxSQLite. Did you build or install a gtk+3 wxSQLite? If not, that would explain the error message.
So what is the cleanest method to remove wxWidgets 3.0.3
You installed with checkinstall, so iiuc all you need to do to uninstall is 'apt remove <packagename>'
AshtonC1
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 vs 3.0.2, gtk2/gtk3 issues.

Post by AshtonC1 »

At his point, I have determined that my wxSQLite3 /SQLite3 versions are wrong, the failing notebook, PC#2, is using version 3.0. SQLite3 ver 3.19.02 (not compatible I believe)
The working app's PC is using wxSQLite3 ver 3.5.3, SQLite3 ver 3.18.

I'm currently trying (get autoreconf working) to install wxSQLite3-3.5, then SQLite3 version 3.18.0. (new post)