Error: '_waccess' was not declared in this scope

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Lowkus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Error: '_waccess' was not declared in this scope

Post by Lowkus »

Yesterday I built wxWidgets 3.1.0 using mingw (v2013072300). Using CodeBlocks and the same mingw I'm trying to compile a project, but I keep getting this error:

C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h:422:46: error: '_waccess' was not declared in this scope
{ return wxCRT_Access(path.fn_str(), mode); }

The project was just a basic empty form, the default project created when making a new wxWidgets project in CodeBlocks. Do any of you know what the solution to this problem might be?
catalin

Re: Error: '_waccess' was not declared in this scope

Post by catalin »

Make sure you build the libraries and your project with the same Unicode settings.
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by stahta01 »

Might try defining
_UNICODE
in the CB Project.

Tim S.
Lowkus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Lowkus »

I compiled wxWidgets to use unicode, and have these #defines for the project:

__GNUWIN32__
__WXMSW__
wxUSE_UNICODE
_UNICODE

Unfortunately it gives me the same error messages.

Is it possible I don't have the correct link libraries identified? These are what I have now...
libkernel32.a
libuser32.a
libgdi32.a
libwinspool.a
libcomdlg32.a
libadvapi32.a
libshell32.a
libole32.a
liboleaut32.a
libuuid.a
libcomctl32.a
libwsock32.a
libodbc32.a
libshlwapi.a
libversion.a

Since the _UNICODE define did not seem to affect anything I removed it again. Here is what the build log currently looks like...

-------------- Build: Release in TestProj (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -O2 -std=c++14 -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_lib\mswu -c C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.cpp -o obj\Release\TestProjApp.o
In file included from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/utils.h:20:0,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/cursor.h:75,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/event.h:21,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/app.h:19,
from C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.h:13,
from C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.cpp:10:
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h: In function 'int wxAccess(const wxString&, mode_t)':
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h:422:46: error: '_waccess' was not declared in this scope
^
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h: In function 'int wxChmod(const wxString&, mode_t)':
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h:424:45: error: '_wchmod' was not declared in this scope
{ return wxCRT_Chmod(path.fn_str(), mode); }
^
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h: In function 'int wxOpen(const wxString&, int, mode_t)':
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h:426:51: error: '_wopen' was not declared in this scope
{ return wxCRT_Open(path.fn_str(), flags, mode); }
^
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h: In function 'int wxStat(const wxString&, _stati64*)':
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h:429:43: error: '_wstati64' was not declared in this scope
{ return wxCRT_Stat(path.fn_str(), buf); }
^
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h: In function 'int wxLstat(const wxString&, _stati64*)':
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h:431:44: error: '_wstati64' was not declared in this scope
{ return wxCRT_Lstat(path.fn_str(), buf); }
^
catalin

Post by catalin »

wxUSE_UNICODE defines _UNICODE, so the latter is not needed explicitly.
Try building without -std=c++14
Remember, for the project you need the same defines the libs have
No, the libs do not matter at that step.
Lowkus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Lowkus »

I changed it to c++11, but the error persists.

mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -std=c++11 -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -O2 -std=c++11 -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_lib\mswu -c C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.cpp -o obj\Release\TestProjApp.o
catalin

Post by catalin »

You are making those changes to your project. Did you do the same for the libs, and build the libs after every change ?
Lowkus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Lowkus »

I've rebuilt it with these commands (in "c:\wxwidgets-3.1.0\build\msw"):

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 BUILD=release clean
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 BUILD=release

Then I tried to compile the project and it still fails with the same error message. Are these commands adequate or should I change anything? What else could be causing the errors?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

So do you want to use c++11 features in your application or not? If you do, you need to compile wxWidgets AND your app the same way. In MinGW, the standard used affects a lot of declarations, see e.g. here..

You can build wxWidgets in c++11 mode with

Code: Select all

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 BUILD=release CXXFLAGS="-std=c++11"
The official wxWidgets documentation recommends to use gnu++11 instead though, so the command should be

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 BUILD=release CXXFLAGS="-gnu=c++11"
Obviously, you need to use the same standard for the library and your application.
Lowkus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Lowkus »

I'm getting an error when attempting to compile wxWidgets with CXXFLAGS="-gnu=c++11".

I'm instead compiling with CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11" and will report back when I've tested the new build.
Lowkus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Lowkus »

After compiling again, it still doesn't work.

Here's what I ran:
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 BUILD=release CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"

Could the error I'm getting have anything to do with my running CodeBlocks on 32-bit Vista? Any other ideas?

-------------- Build: Release in TestProj (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -std=c++11 -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -O2 -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_lib\mswu -c C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.cpp -o obj\Release\TestProjApp.o
In file included from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/utils.h:20:0,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/cursor.h:75,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/event.h:21,
from C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/app.h:19,
from C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.h:13,
from C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.cpp:10:
C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include/wx/filefn.h: In function 'int wxAccess(const wxString&, mode_t)':
etc...
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

Did you try what people told you to, i.e., build the library and application with the same C++ flavour and unless you are building 3.1 GIT head that flavour being "gnu++11"?
Lowkus wrote:After compiling again, it still doesn't work.

Here's what I ran:
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 BUILD=release CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"

mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -std=c++11 -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -O2 -IC:\wxWidgets-
What does __GNUWIN32__ do? Is it defined during building wxWidgets (I don't think it is)? As I wrote above various definitions as well as C++ standard affect function declarations in MinGW.

I strongly advise you:
1. Read the wxWidgets install instructions in WXWIN/docs/msw/install.txt
2. Take a look at the gcc makefile for the minimal sample to see what flags it actually uses.

Additionally, I never used a command line to build my applications but shouldn't the build-specific include folder (e.g. WXWIN/lib/gcc_lib/mswu) come before the general one (WXWIN/include)?

BTW, you are using Code::Blocks: is the gcc command line generated by C::B for a project created on its wxWidgets GUI template?
Building regular wxWidgets application is usually a pretty simple, painless and straightforward process, you are not supposed to waste time on it...

Please try this (assuming you did not modify setup.h):
1. Delete WXWIN/build/msw/gcc_mswu and WXWIN/lib/gcc_lib folders
2. Build wxWidgets with

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc SHARED=0 BUILD=release CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"
3. Make a clean build of your app with (assuming C:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_lib is where built wxWidgets) in the previous step.

mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -std=gnu++11 -pipe -mthreads -O2 -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\lib\gcc_lib\mswu -IC:\wxWidgets-3.1.0\include -c C:\Users\Mark\Documents\cProjects\TestProj\TestProjApp.cpp -o obj\Release\TestProjApp.o
catalin

Post by catalin »

I see you are still posting about how you are compiling your project, and how you have changed the build command (of your project?). Again, as explicit as I can be:

What is the compile command you used for building the libs?

What is the compile command you used for building your project?
Lowkus
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Lowkus »

Catalin, perhaps I am missing something, I thought I'd already posted the compile commands that I've been using. I've attached an image of the compiler settings; if there is something I need to modify so that the app builds how you're saying it should build then please let me know.
CBCompiler.jpg
PB, I do not know what __GNUWIN32__ does, it was autogenerated by the CodeBlocks project creation wizard. I will try some of the steps you mentioned.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

Lowkus wrote:PB, I do not know what __GNUWIN32__ does, it was autogenerated by the CodeBlocks project creation wizard. I will try some of the steps you mentioned.
Do not try SOME steps, do them all, they are related. In particular, make sure that C++ standard option is the same. You cannot set gnu++11 via C:B compiler flags tab, you must make sure that none of the c++ standards is selected there and add "-std=gnu++11" in Other Compiler options tab.

BTW, can you build wxWidgets minimal sample (using the same command line you build wxWidgets but running it from WXWIN/samples/minimal folder)?

Edit: I have just tried to rebuild wxWidgets project created by C::B wizard, works as expected (MinGW 5.3):
-------------- Clean: Release in aaa (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

Cleaned "aaa - Release"

-------------- Build: Release in aaa (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -O2 -std=gnu++11 -IL:\Dev\Desktop\wxWidgets-GIT\include -IL:\Dev\Desktop\wxWidgets-GIT\lib\gcc_lib\mswu -c C:\aa\aaa\aaaApp.cpp -o obj\Release\aaaApp.o
mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -O2 -std=gnu++11 -IL:\Dev\Desktop\wxWidgets-GIT\include -IL:\Dev\Desktop\wxWidgets-GIT\lib\gcc_lib\mswu -c C:\aa\aaa\aaaMain.cpp -o obj\Release\aaaMain.o
windres.exe -IL:\Dev\Desktop\wxWidgets-GIT\include -IL:\Dev\Desktop\wxWidgets-GIT\lib\gcc_lib\mswu -J rc -O coff -i C:\aa\aaa\resource.rc -o obj\Release\resource.res
mingw32-g++.exe -LL:\Dev\Desktop\wxWidgets-GIT\lib\gcc_lib -o bin\Release\aaa.exe obj\Release\aaaApp.o obj\Release\aaaMain.o obj\Release\resource.res -s -mthreads -lwxmsw31u_aui -lwxmsw31u_core -lwxbase31u -lwxpng -lwxzlib -lversion -lshlwapi -loleacc -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lcomctl32 -lwsock32 -lodbc32
Output file is bin\Release\aaa.exe with size 5.58 MB
Process terminated with status 0 (0 minute(s), 12 second(s))
0 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 12 second(s))
wxWidgets were built as usual (very recent GIT master):

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11" setup_h
mingw32-make -j2 -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release  CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"