Size of executable (linked to wxwidgets dynamically vs. static)

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
nji
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Size of executable (linked to wxwidgets dynamically vs. static)

Post by nji »

I'm a newbie to c:b and wxwidgets and up to now I developped with MS's VS.
Building my first GUI "Hello world" (dynamically linked to the wx-libs)
it produces a relase exe of about 500kB.
(Which is pretty much compared to the exe sizes that VS produces with MFC).
My question:
If I want to build my exe with wx-libs included (= statically linked),
I will have to build the wx-libs by myself (no prebuild binaries for download), right?
And second:
What size will a simple GUI-Hello-World be with that?
(I fear it will be something around 1M+)
(If it would be as large, it would be unusable for my cases.)
doublemax

Re: Size of executable (linked to wxwidgets dynamically vs. static)

Post by doublemax »

A statically linked "minimal" sample without any dependencies will be around 2.8-3m. There are a few tricks to get lower, but you'll never get near 1m (unless you use an EXE-packer like UPX).
Use the source, Luke!
nji
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by nji »

Uffzz...!
But why is this SO large?
I mininal GUI statical linked MFC exe with VisualStudio is about 100k.
Doesn't the gcc linker strip the lib code that is not needed?
I think this is a very important disadvantage ...
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I think this is a very important disadvantage ...
I don't know why you need a small executable so badly ( does it have to fit on 1.44mb floppy?), but i'm pretty sure most people don't care.
Use the source, Luke!
nji
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by nji »

Well the hw environment I'm working at requires it ...
But back to my question:
Maybe I'm just kind of "spoiled" by the "pure windows" stuff.
Maybe not wxwidgets is large, but MFC is small because it needs no "layer" for platform independency?
As I don't need platform independency now - maybe should look for a free gui lib for windows
that does with mingw/ codeblocks (any suggestions?)
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

As I don't need platform independency now - maybe should look for a free gui lib for windows
Can't you just stay with MFC then?

The only lightweight alternative i know is FLTK. http://www.fltk.org
Use the source, Luke!
nji
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by nji »

Thank you for the hint to FLTK ... this looks promising.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

Wherever it is good or bad, in 2017 no one sane cares about whether the size a desktop applications is 100 kB or 3 MB.

The size of "minimal" executable is not a good metric. You need to know the size of the executable with your features in and the "minimal" executable sizes may not properly reflect the fully-featured application size.

IIIRC, one of the reasons for the large initial size of wxWidgets application is (that on Windows) huge image libraries (JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG , PCX...) as well the ZIP library are linked in statically (all needed by wxImage). If you do not need this functionality, you can turn it off when buildng wxWidgets (via USE_xx, see WXWIN/include/MSW/setup.h for the options). And there are other things also not in the MFC linked in by default.
nji
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by nji »

PB wrote: IIIRC, one of the reasons for the large initial size of wxWidgets application is (that on Windows) huge image libraries (JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG , PCX...) as well the ZIP library are linked in statically (all needed by wxImage). If you do not need this functionality, you can turn it off when buildng wxWidgets (via USE_xx, see WXWIN/include/MSW/setup.h for the options). And there are other things also not in the MFC linked in by default.
So, even if I don't use any imaging code - but only GUI building - then the linker will add these huge libraries to my application?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

I think it is not important where the "bloat" comes from. If you are really interested in that you can look at size of all those {core|base}_*.obj files (assuming you are using MSVC, they are in WXWIN/build/MSW/vc_lib/mswu folder) that comprise the two basic wxWidgets libraries. There's a lot of supporting code that is always linked in once you use the basic wxWidgets classes. You can also ask in the wx-users discussion group which is frequented by wxWidgets developers, or better yet - you can look up the answer to the question: IIRC there is already at least one such thread, although not very recent.

I took a brief look at FLTK. It seems to manage to create much smaller executables (32-bit release non-cairo) which is somewhat impressive considering it actually uses its own controls instead of the native ones. Even their GUI designer (Fluid) is smaller than wxWidgets minimal sample. OTOH, not having a native look may be quite a disadvantage to some. I also have no idea how the features compare.

As I said above, I believe choosing a toolkit based on resulting executable size is not a good idea but if you need that, wxWidgets probably is not for you.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Like already said you can customize the build of the library by turning off the features you won't need. The the resulting executable will be smaller.
But it was also said that you need to actually build the binary you will use and see what the size will be for that binary.

Or you can just disregard C::B and work with MSVC + wxWidgets, whatever version of MSVC you currently have.

The choice is up to you. ;-)

Thank you.