With Sierra (10.12.2) impossible to build wxWidgets Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
raananb
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

With Sierra (10.12.2) impossible to build wxWidgets

Post by raananb »

I updated wxWidgets trunk from GIT, and found out that there was no way to rebuild wxWidgets wxOSX/cocoa under OSX 10.12.2, with Apple installed g++ 4.2.1, using DialogBlocks (which until now produced builds with no problems) and with command-line in terminal.

I tried to build 3.1.0 and 3.0.2 and both builds failed too.

The build of 3.0.2 produced overs 1000 errors, and builds of trunk & 3.1.0 stopped with 49/50 errors.

It looks like something changed in Sierra, rendering the build impossible for all the current versions of wxWidgets.

Note: filed bug #17761 on December 26.

An example of the build messages for trunk & 3.1.0 follows:

Warnings:

*** /Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/jpeg/jdhuff.c:454:13: warning: shifting a negative signed value is undefined [-Wshift-negative-value]
*** { 0, ((-1)<<1) + 1, ((-1)<<2) + 1, ((-1)<<3) + 1, ((-1)<<4) + 1,
*** ~~~~^

errors:

/Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/GCCBuildReleaseOSXCocoaUnicode/bk-deps g++ -mmacosx-version-min=10.10 -c -o baselib_utils_base.o -I./.pch/wxprec_baselib -D__WXOSX_COCOA__ -DWXBUILDING -I/Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/GCCBuildReleaseOSXCocoaUnicode/src/tiff/libtiff -I/Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/tiff/libtiff -I/Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/jpeg -I/Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/png -DwxUSE_GUI=0 -DwxUSE_BASE=1 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DwxDEBUG_LEVEL=0 -I/Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/GCCBuildReleaseOSXCocoaUnicode/lib/wx/include/osx_cocoa-unicode-static-3.1 -I/Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/include -O2 /Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/osx/cocoa/utils_base.mm
*** In file included from /Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/src/osx/cocoa/utils_base.mm:23:
*** In file included from /Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/include/wx/osx/private.h:4:
*** In file included from /Users/raananbarzel/wxWidgets-3.1.0/include/wx/osx/core/private.h:44:
*** In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:29:
*** In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Headers/HIToolbox.h:240:
*** In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Headers/IMKInputSession.h:23:
*** In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/Foundation.h:10:
*** In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSArray.h:5:
*** /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSObject.h:44:12: error: unknown property attribute 'class'
*** @property (class, readonly) BOOL supportsSecureCoding;
*** ^

*** fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
*** 20 errors generated.
*** make: *** [baselib_utils_base.o] Error 1

Done.

49 errors, 51 warnings
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: With Sierra (10.12.2) impossible to build wxWidgets

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
As per Vadim' comment, you need to update Xcode to version 8.

Thank you.
raananb
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: With Sierra (10.12.2) impossible to build wxWidgets

Post by raananb »

Yes, I followed his advice this afternoon and upgraded Xcode to 8.2.1. The problem disappeared.

Thanks