Developing on Windows, building on Linux

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
palacs
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Developing on Windows, building on Linux

Post by palacs »

Hi there,

I'm new to wxWidgets but I started developing an application. My main development platform is Windows. I would use Visual Studio along with wxFormBuilder. I would like to use Visual Studio. However, I would like to port my application to Linux and I'm asking what is the best way to automatically generate configure scripts and makefiles for Linux. I would not use platform-dependent parts, only "pure" wxWidgets, so I would need a tool that generates configure scripts/makefiles for Linux, based on my Visual Studio project file.

What would you recommend?

Thanks
Pál
T-Rex

Re: Developing on Windows, building on Linux

Post by T-Rex »

Use CMake for generating VS projects on Windows and Makefiles or CodeBlocks projects on Linux.
You can find some wx-related CMake samples here: https://github.com/T-Rex/wxModularApp
palacs
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by palacs »

Thanks. But what if I want to create the VS project from Visual Studio itself, then want to build under Linux. Is there a tool that can read VS projects, then generate Linux Makefiles based on VS projects?
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

No.