Issues with wxWidgets 3.0.2 and Visual Studio 2013

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
BillG
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Issues with wxWidgets 3.0.2 and Visual Studio 2013

Post by BillG » Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 am

First of all my program compiles, links, and executes as written. but i am getting some strange errors in Visual Studio Professional 2013. I was getting a type incomplete on wxFrame so i added #include "wx\frame.h" at the top under "#include wx/wx.h" and it got rid of the message and the red font. now i am confused caused the app compiled, linked, and executed properly but i had this error.

Now i have the same issue with

type 'wxMenu' is incomplete. yet the menu displays properly when run
SetMenBar is in red, so is CreateStatusBar and SetStatusText but yet they appear in the app when run

it can't resolve wxMessageBox yet the message box appears when run

cannot resolve wxCommandEventHandler yet the commands fire off

What is causing this issue?

Thanks

catalin

Re: Issues with wxWidgets 3.0.2 and Visual Studio 2013

Post by catalin » Mon May 18, 2015 11:36 am

BillG wrote:type 'wxMenu' is incomplete. yet the menu displays properly when run
How can this possibly be happening?
Are you sure that a previously successful build was not being run when the current build failed ?

PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB » Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 am

It appears the OP is referring to IntelliSense detected "errors" and not real (compiler/linker) errors.

BillG
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by BillG » Mon May 18, 2015 1:05 pm

there are definitely no build errors. it builds cleanly and runs. So how do i fix the intellisense issues?

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra » Mon May 18, 2015 11:49 pm

BillG wrote:So how do i fix the intellisense issues?
Turn Intellisense off? Heh.

Really though, it depends on how you've configured your build. Intellisense isn't always as smart as it claims to be, and there's just some things it can't detect like some of the compile-time build configuration options wxWidgets relies on to detect and enable features. Sometimes it's not also very smart about how you have pre-compiled headers configured, and may not realize that some headers have been included in that rather than including them directly like you would with PCH turned off.