Does wxWidgets 3.x know the term build "out-of-source"?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Joelito
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Does wxWidgets 3.x know the term build "out-of-source"?

Post by Joelito » Wed May 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi...I'm planning to build wxmsw 3.0.2 with Visual C++ 2010 (finally I upgraded my compiler). My first wxwidgets builds, the objects and intermediate files are placed in the same source directory....my question is: does wxwidgets know about "prefix" parameter or "out-of-source" build to once compiled the binaries delete the source dir?

I'm planning to build with:

Code: Select all

nmake -f Makefile.vc [options]
* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with openbox + tint2; Guest: WinXP SP3 + wxMSW 3.0.2 + msvc 2010.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with xfce4.

xaviou
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: Does wxWidgets 3.x know the term build "out-of-source"?

Post by xaviou » Wed May 13, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi

Intermediates and objects files are not placed in the source directory : they are put in a sub-folder of the "build/msw" one.
And all the libs and dll files (if any) are placed in a "lib" sub-folder.

Regards
Xav'
My wxWidgets stuff web page : [email protected]'s wxStuff

Joelito
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Joelito » Thu May 14, 2015 12:09 am

Hi and thanks for reply:

That's what I meant they are in the directory tree, I'm looking for some workaround like when you run this commands:

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=c:/somedir
make
make install
That or... what folders should I keep? Normally one use ${WXWIN}\{include,lib}
* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with openbox + tint2; Guest: WinXP SP3 + wxMSW 3.0.2 + msvc 2010.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with xfce4.

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra » Thu May 14, 2015 6:21 am

I seem to recall that all VS project files also use a common environment variable for configuring build locations. In the latest development version of wxWidgets, this is more easily managed by copying wx_setup.props to wx_local.props, and making changes there: http://wxwidgets.blogspot.com/2014/08/i ... dgets.html

In older versions, I think this is still possible by defining your own "$(wxOutDir)" environment variable.

Really though, there's absolutely no reason to do so. I'm left wondering if you're asking this because you haven't figured out how to properly configure your own software's include and lib paths properly to find the necessary files within the wxWidgets tree. Generally this is done instead since it makes it ridiculously easy to simply use "$(WXWIN)" in your own settings (an environment variable that the wxWidgets Windows installer configures by default), leaving you the option to quickly and easily switch out that value for a different build/version of wxWidgets.

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra » Thu May 14, 2015 6:28 am

Probably worth noting that a "prefix" on Unix machines actually has some meaning since those operating systems actually define specific locations for certain types of application files (using the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard). That isn't the case on Windows, so doing the same really doesn't make any sense.