wxmsw30u_gcc48.dll missing from your computer

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
thor36
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxmsw30u_gcc48.dll missing from your computer

Post by thor36 »

Hi. Yesterday I have checked a few simple wxWidgets 3.0 programs found in websites with tutorials. There were problems with compiling them at first, but eventually they worked. Today, when I try to run any of it, I get a System error : " The program can't start because wxmsw30u_gcc48.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. "

I don't understand, how it can stop working ( or file go missing ) overnight. Does anyone know how to fix this ? Also, where should the .dll be located in the system ? I have Win 7 x64 and CodeBlocks 13.12, and have installed this wxPack 3.0 .Thank you :)

EDIT :

I have now created a new wxWidgets 3.0 project in CodeBlocks with wizard, and the starter code works. So only the projects I created yesterday don't run anymore, giving the mentioned error. That gives me even less clue about what to do. :D
Last edited by thor36 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modoran
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Re: wxmsw30u_gcc48.dll missing from your computer

Post by modoran »

The DLL must be in the same folder as your EXE or (NOT recommended) somewhere in %PATH%.

The IDE can locate the DLL for you and be able to run your program from inside it, so nothing is dissapearing "over night".

The exact location of the DLL only you can find where it is, nobody will download 1GB pack just for that.
thor36
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by thor36 »

Oh, I probably should've added that I created projects using project wizard and choose wxWidgets 3.0 project. DLL is not in the folder where EXE is ( debug ), and I'm pretty sure it wasn't before either. I also ran a search through all disk drives and it didn't find the file - which I expected to be found at least in the wxWidgets downloaded pack. Again, the funny thing is that yesterday it all worked. That's what my "over night" comment is about :)
modoran
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by modoran »

If you run the EXE from inside IDE most likely the DLL will be found automatically.

Don't know about wxPack (don't use it), but if you compile wxWidgets yourself the DLL can be found in "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll\" folder.
thor36
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by thor36 »

Unfortunately, running EXE from inside IDE was the first thing I tried, and it threw the error that I described in first post :?

And if I find the DLL, or reinstall wxWidgets or anything... what should I do with it, where to place it ?
modoran
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by modoran »

In the same folder as EXE. Or build wxWidgets as a static library, that way no DLL will be required.
thor36
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by thor36 »

modoran wrote:In the same folder as EXE. Or build wxWidgets as a static library, that way no DLL will be required.
When I built and ran the projects yesterday, it worked. And I never had to put any DLL anywhere, and no DLL was in the folder with EXE either.
And I'm not sure I can do anything about building library, since it already came pre-compiled with the wxPack. Thank you for your help in this issue of mine.

EDIT :

I have now created a new wxWidgets 3.0 project in CodeBlocks with wizard, and the starter code works. So only the projects I created yesterday don't run anymore, giving the mentioned error. That gives me even less clue about what to do. :D
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by stahta01 »

Code::Blocks adds the linker search folders to the path used to search for DLLs.

You need to copy the DLLs to your exe project when it is time to test outside of Code::Blocks.

I suggest using version control system; it help determine the cause of these weird issue.

Tim S.
rafei
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by rafei »

modoran wrote:The DLL must be in the same folder as your EXE or (NOT recommended) somewhere in %PATH%.

The IDE can locate the DLL for you and be able to run your program from inside it, so nothing is dissapearing "over night".

The exact location of the DLL only you can find where it is, nobody will download 1GB pack just for that.
this worked for me, thanks pro.