Problems with Visual c++ express 2010

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
PJSJP
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Problems with Visual c++ express 2010

Post by PJSJP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 am

Hi
I'm running wxWidgets 2.8.12 with Visual c++ express 2010 on Windows xp - I haven't updated anything for a while! Everything was running smoothly on April 4th when I last used wxWidgets, then yesterday I tried to run the same programs (still in debug mode) and it came up with the 'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect' message. Several times recently when I have been closing down my machine there have bee automatic updates installed (although I thought xp had just come to the end of its life and so there wouldn't be any more updates) and I am wondering if this might be the cause.

Any ideas or do I have to bite the bullet and update everything? (I would quite like to amend one of my programs slightly and use it by tomorrow, but I expect updating will take too long.)

doublemax

Re: Problems with Visual c++ express 2010

Post by doublemax » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:59 pm

'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect'
Usually that means that some DLL is missing. Try http://www.dependencywalker.com/ ,maybe it tells you which one.
Use the source, Luke!

PJSJP
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by PJSJP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks
I've tried the dependency walker as you suggested. It's giving me the error message 'The Side-by-Side configuration information for "myprog.EXE" contains errors.' Followed by the application configuration incorrect message I was getting when I ran it myself. There are 2 warnings for module problems MSJAVA.DLL and MPR.DLL, both of which seem to be OK according to the FAQ.

doublemax

Post by doublemax » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Are you running a release or debug build of your exe? Did you try rebuilding, maybe the exe got corrupted somehow?

Try installing the VS2010 runtimes:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5555
Use the source, Luke!

PJSJP
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by PJSJP » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am

I'm running a debug build. Yes, I have tried rebuilding. I was going to try a release build to see if it was any better, but I discovered I never actually compiled the release version of wxWidgets. I must have used Visual c++ express 2008 to compile the debug version and I recently uninistalled 2008 (thinking I didn't need it now I have 2010) when I was short of space on my C drive (caused by an unrelated problem of a log file eating up all the free space). Unfortunately Visual C++ express 2008 no longer seems to be available.

Istarted to install the VS2010 runtimes, but it told me I already had a more recent version. I decided not to carry on with this, but instead to repair / reinstall Visual c++ express 2010 in case deleting the 2008 version had removed something I needed for 2010. Unfortunately this has not fixed the problem. Should I still try installing the VS2010 runtimes?

In the meantime I downloaded wxWidgets 2.9.4 to see if I could compile it using express 2010, but I am having problems with '../../lib/vc_lib/mswud/wx/setup.h(20): fatal error C1014: too many include files : depth = 1024' errors both when I try to compile using the command line and the project files. This is mentioned here http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.p ... le#p147271 but I can't see how he fixed it. Should I add on to that topic or start a new one?

Thanks for all your help

doublemax

Post by doublemax » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Which project file did you use to build wx 2.9.4?

Try to follow the steps here:
http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.p ... 17#p142017
Use the source, Luke!

PJSJP
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by PJSJP » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I used wx_vc9.sln. I have made some progress in the meantime. I restarted my machine (I hadn't done so after the repair of VC++ 2010, although it had restarted during the repair) and now the static debug version is compiling. There are warnings of the form
'warning MSB8012: TargetPath(D:\wxWidgets-2.9.4\build\msw\..\..\lib\vc_lib\wxscintilla.lib) does not match the Library's OutputFile property value (D:\wxWidgets-2.9.4\lib\vc_lib\wxscintillad.lib). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Lib.OutputFile).'
but I have compiled and run minimal and it worked! Should I be worried by the warning messages?

Restarting my machine hasn't helped my original problem that I couldn't run any of my wxWidgets projects using wxWidgets 2.8 12, but now that I have minimal working in 2.9.4 I should be able to get my projects working.

doublemax

Post by doublemax » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 pm

The warnings are currently normal with VS2010 or newer.

If you wanted to go back to VC2008, i found a download link here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 504728.iso
Use the source, Luke!