Finding what values a library used

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
ctheobald
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Finding what values a library used

Post by ctheobald »

Is there a way to determine which build options were used to produce a particular set of wx libraries? I build my program with "2.8 (no debug,Unicode,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.6)", but the build on RHEL 6.3 64-bit adds "compatible with 2.4". This causes my program to not run. The same binary does run on Debian, which presumably does not have "compatible with 2.4". I would like to have a single build capable of running on all target Linux platforms, as it is, I have to build for Ubuntu/Debian and CentOS/RHEL separately.

How do other developers deal with library build differences between platforms?

Error from my program:
Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 2.8 (no debug,Unicode,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.4,compatible with 2.6),
and your program used 2.8 (no debug,Unicode,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.6)
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Finding what values a library used

Post by Auria »

Making a binary that works on several distributions will be difficult, if possible at all.

Your best bet is probably to use an older linux in a virtual machine, then compile wxWidgets statically in there, and build your application against this static wx. Wx being static, this will include wx in your application; you are thus sure the right wx is in the binary. Then, your application will need to use the other dependencies, like GTK+, from the OS. You must then hope that all depencies are sufficiently compatible between distributions, which is not always a given
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows