VC++2008 compiles in debug but not release Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

VC++2008 compiles in debug but not release

Post by forrestcupp »

I'm using VC++2008 Express with the latest wxPack. When I create a simple app starting with an empty project using the VC wizard, I don't have any problem compiling it in debug mode, but it won't compile in release mode.

When I switch to release mode, before it starts compiling the code, it errors out saying that the rc file does not exist. But, again, when I put it in debug mode, it compiles just fine without any changes being made.

It appears that the VC wizard must not set it up properly for release mode. Does anyone have any ideas?
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by forrestcupp »

In case anyone cares, I ended up just realizing that it's much easier just to not use an empty project. So I just changed the default .cpp and .h templates to suit my needs better, and I'm now letting it generate the project for me. Now it works in debug and release.

I just hate working with generated projects that were created in a different style than what I prefer. I like using connects instead of event tables.

For my own future reference, I found the default templates here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\VCWizards\AppWiz\wxWidgets\Templates\1033

The word 'root' in the filename is changed to your project name.
wxwalker
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by wxwalker »

Please take care you have compiled the DEBUG and RELEASE versions of your wxWidgets library.

Under VC++ use the VC2008 Command Prompt shortcut and build the versions using make. But you must modify your config.vc file.

I don't know exactly where to find the tutorial in this forum here. Otherwise check click here Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and WxWidgets
-----
wxWidgets 2.8.7 user, wxDevC++ User, MSVS80EE User.

Need a bug-loaded program, just ask me!!! ;)