wxWidgets 2.8.9 ODBC support

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
mrdebug
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

wxWidgets 2.8.9 ODBC support

Post by mrdebug » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:31 pm

Anybody has compiled a project on Windows width ODBC support?
2.8.8 works well.

skirkpatrick
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by skirkpatrick » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:08 pm

ODBC support is being dropped. Between that and some problems I found with it, I started using Databaselayer.

m1t0z
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by m1t0z » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:23 pm

skirkpatrick wrote:ODBC support is being dropped. Between that and some problems I found with it, I started using Databaselayer.
realy? Is that means than I can't use wxODBC + wxDB in 2.8.9 version of wxWidgets for working with MS SQL2005( e.g. ).
sorry for bad english.

skirkpatrick
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by skirkpatrick » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:19 pm

I would highly suggest against it.

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:50 pm

m1t0z wrote:realy? Is that means than I can't use wxODBC + wxDB in 2.8.9 version of wxWidgets for working with MS SQL2005( e.g. ).
You could, and wxODBC will continue to be included in future 2.8.x releases, but it will not be included anymore in any future 2.9.x or 3.0.x releases, so it's not recommended that you use it.

RomanV
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by RomanV » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 pm

tierra wrote:
m1t0z wrote:realy? Is that means than I can't use wxODBC + wxDB in 2.8.9 version of wxWidgets for working with MS SQL2005( e.g. ).
You could, and wxODBC will continue to be included in future 2.8.x releases, but it will not be included anymore in any future 2.9.x or 3.0.x releases, so it's not recommended that you use it.
So how database access will be performed in 2.9.x and 3.0.x?
Will Databaselayer included into 2.9.x and 3.0.x to do that?

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:38 am

RomanV wrote:So how database access will be performed in 2.9.x and 3.0.x?
Will Databaselayer included into 2.9.x and 3.0.x to do that?
There isn't any official replacement for wxODBC unfortunately. There was a call for wxODBC maintainers to help update wxODBC for the necessary wxString changes made in wxWidgets 2.9/3.0 on more than one occasion in the last 2 years, and no-one was willing to do that update. Since no-one was willing to take it on, it was decided that it would be better to release wxWidgets 3.0 without wxODBC than to release it with a busted wxODBC library. It's very likely that in order to fix up wxODBC to work with the wxString changes, that ABI compatibility would need to be broken, and that can't happen in a stable release. It's simply better to remove it entirely than leave a busted library in wxWidgets, especially since no-one was willing to maintain the library, and we may never find anyone.

Anyway, Databaselayer will not be included in wxWidgets 3.0, but that doesn't stop you from using it. In fact, it was suggested that if anyone really did want to bring wxODBC back, it will simply just need to find a home on wxCode (along with Databaselayer) instead of in the official library.