Why is this such a headache to compile in Windows? Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Sirmabus
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Why is this such a headache to compile in Windows?

Post by Sirmabus »

EDIT:
The wxWidgets download for for Microsoft Windows doesn't have have ready made project/solution files to build it with VS2005 or VS2008 out of the box.
There is a lack of instruction with the package, on how to build it for such as well.

See below..
Last edited by Sirmabus on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

I don't know much about windows. Just a few pointers :

* Binaries ready to download : http://wxpack.sourceforge.net/
* Guides : http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Guides_%26_Tutorials
FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

For me, it's as simple as installing mingw, msys, and wxwidgets, using msys to cd into the wxwidgets directory, ./configure-ing, and make && make install-ing.

FlyingIsFun1217
Sirmabus
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Sirmabus »

Thanks, with http://wxpack.sourceforge.net I managed to get a full rebuild of wxWidgets and wxLua.

I had to manually edit the path in project files (.vcproj for VS2005+, .DSP for VC6).
Maybe not a problem if you install it to a root drive, I installed it a few levels deep.

Oh well, be advised it won't build/compile out of the box for VS2005/VS2008, and there is a learning curve to even get it (and more complexity wxLua) to compile..

And FYI if you attempt to build all around with the "Use Link Time Code Generation" optimization, expect very long build times (every time) as this a very large system. Although it drops the total size around 300kb (with yet unknown effects on performance).

Thanks again for the help, should have came here first..
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Sirmabus
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Sirmabus »

Ya panimio. Spasiba moi drug.

In hind sight, I'm saying it could be a lot easier to setup. It would be have been much easier if there where just solution files already there for at least VC7.
Also there is the "contrib" directory, and no apparent way to build the compilation lib "wxmsw28.lib".
You have to go outside the package and find answers, like watching your video, etc.

I'm saying it would be easier to reach if it had these solution files, and a help file or two called "HowToCompileMe.txt" or something..
pxhai
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by pxhai »

Hi, isn't it easy to build with VS2k5 or 2k8. Use batch-build (Build/Batch-build) and drink a coffee. On my PC, it took 1 hour to finish