WxFormbuilder and overwritting of files Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
kevchen
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

WxFormbuilder and overwritting of files

Post by kevchen »

High!

Is there a GUI-Designer that does not overwrite
everything that you already wrote in code, but adds
new buttions etc. dynamically to your old code?

I really like WxFormbuilder, but the fact, that i cant change any of the gui after i wrote some code really worries me. I know that there is some tutorial that descriptes how to work around that on the wxformbuilder website. But i just didnt get it :).

Can anyone explain it to me or tell me any Gui-Designer for Wx (primaryliy for linux plz, but everything else is also welcome and payware too) that makes it easy to make changes in the gui afterwards withouth touching ur existing code?

Or maybe i theres a little strategy (maybe, making code and a gui for every button ?? :) )
that makes creating gui apps with wx more flexible?

Any hint is highly welcome! :)

Thanks a lot in advance!
biplab
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by biplab »

Create another class from the wxFormBuilder generated class. Then add your own code to the new class.

You can refer the sample wxWidgets code generated by the wxWidgets wizard of a Latest Nightly Build of Code::Blocks. You can download it from the link provided in my signature. :)

You'll get an working example of exactly what you want to implement.
Blog: http://biplab.in

IDE: Code::Blocks
Compilers: GCC, MSVC, etc. ;)
kevchen
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by kevchen »

Hmm, i still dont know if i get it.
i'm a bloody new to wx, you have to know :).

However, when i inherit the orignally gui-class, i will not add code to the orignial files, but to the files of the inherited class, right?

And if i add a button, wxformbuilder will overwrite the orignal files, but not the inherited one and so i add the new events and the eventable of the new buttn in the inherited class manually, what should not a be a big deal when i will know how to actually work with wx, right???? :)

Hope i got it :)
rjmyst3
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by rjmyst3 »

That sounds right. I think you've got it . 8)

The fact that the generated code cannot be edited is not a deficiency that needs to be worked around. It was designed that way for good reasons.

I've just completed a new article on our wiki to explain just exactly what those reasons are. Please give it a read, I hope it helps.

Why Can't I Edit the Generated Code?
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

rjmyst3 wrote:I've just completed a new article on our wiki to explain just exactly what those reasons are. Please give it a read, I hope it helps.

Why Can't I Edit the Generated Code?
Really good article. Also, I suggest you take a look to the wxFB video tutorial. It's a complete example which shows how to use the inherited class generation feature.

http://wiki.wxformbuilder.org/uploads/M ... torial.avi
kevchen
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by kevchen »

Wow, thanks so much for your help! To All of you.

That really helped me a lot, the inheriting is actually really smart! I just needed some time to get the idea of that design.

Now i can go on with learning wxwidgets :).

I really mean it, thanks a lot!
RJP Computing
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by RJP Computing »

Feel free to get help on the wxFormBuilder forum. That is a better location to get specific wxFormBuilder help then a general wxWidgets forum.

See you there. :wink:
- Ryan
RJP Computing
wxPack - Precompiled wxWidgets package.

Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64/WinXP, AMD Athlon x2 3000+, 4000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, nVidia GeForce 9400GS 1GB
fatinbrain
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: WxFormbuilder and overwritting of files

Post by fatinbrain »

I had similar problem (http://stackoverflow.com/q/8255753/1035174). I created my own code-generator of inherited class. http://sourceforge.net/p/wxgup455/home/Home/