Fl under 2.5.4

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Fl under 2.5.4

Post by acsMike »

Is it only I who fail to compile FL under 2.5.4? My Visual (*.dsp) file seem to be broken.
/Michael Ljunggren, developer
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Hi

Just a general answer, but I read that FL is no longer maintained. There are alternatives which seem to be better, like wxDockit, wxExtended, and more stuff like that ..

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

I have tried a couple of times to compile wxDockit but have not managed to do so under 2.5.3 / 2.5.4 I get a bunch of compile errors and just give up. It probably work under 2.4?

Anyone used wxDockIt under Mac and Windows?
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

You should save yourself lots of hassle and use wxIFM instead, as it will replace wxFL entirely once it is contribed into wx source. Don't know what the heck that is? Info is here: http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=738
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

I downloaded beta 2 of wxIFM, but it won't compile under 2.5.4, but I assume it works fine under 2.5.3. Will there be a beta 3?
Peavey Electronics

SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Yes, it does work under 2.5.3. There was a recent change to CVS in 2.5.4 that broke some of the code contained in beta 2. I have updated the beta 2 distribution and it compiles fine under a recent copy of cvs (post 2.5.4). I cannot test to see if it still compiles under 2.5.3, I can only assume that it does. There is a slight chance of another beta, but I would rather just make the next release the first official one. As per the discussion in the wxIFM thread in the announcements forum, if it takes too long to get into wx source, I will do my first release as standalone.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

Thanks, now it compiles fine, but it won't link, referring to several

Code: Select all

wxmsw25ud_ifm.lib(resize.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall wxStringData::Free(void)" (?Free@wxStringData@@QAEXXZ)
Is this a problem of my standard 2.5.4 distribution? Should I use the CVS version?

I am eager to see your work!
Peavey Electronics

SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Sorry, but this isn't wxIFM's problem. I cannot get unicode debug to link with wx cvs post 2.5.4, but I dont use unicode anyway. Try just normal debug.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

Thanks, I got it to work anyway but I don't remember how... :? Just a bad day perhaps...

I have now looked at your library, and for Windows it can certainly become something very nice! I will try to compile under wxMac (XCode enviroment) and see what happens. Mac does not support docking in the same sense Windows do, so perhaps IFM wont even be neccesary there. I would be happy with a bunch of floating toolbars on Mac, whereas they need to be docked on Windows.
Peavey Electronics

SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Toolbars need not be "docked" on Windows. My local wxIFM demo has a toolbar owned by wxIFM, and I can move it where ever I want just like any other window, including floating it, and docking it again. As for mac, wxMac does not support wxWindow::Reparent which is required to "put" a window into a floating frame. Because of this, floating in wxIFM is disabled on mac, but everything else should work. There are some quirks on mac due to frame display animations that interfere with the proper display of the drop target buttons (the gray boxes on win32 that you use to dock windows somewhere else) which I would like to fix somehow.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

As for mac, wxMac does not support wxWindow::Reparent which is required to "put" a window into a floating frame. Because of this, floating in wxIFM is disabled on mac, but...
On Mac, there is no way to do the opposite; disabling docking of toolbars and forcing them a float? If not; I'll just put the toolbars in a wxMiniFrame on Mac. It would be nice to have 1 set of code for all OS' though.
Peavey Electronics

SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

I don't know anything about mac and its UI conventions, but last I checked, talking about basic UI concepts in win32 and X server land in a mac channel results of lots of funny faces. It would technically be possible to "prevent" a floating window from being docked again. The problem with this, is what wxIFM requires that the window you want to manage exists before you tell wxIFM to manage it, meaning its already been created, and already has a given parent. In order for wxIFM "float" a pre-existing window, it must call wxWindow::Reparent to actually make the window a child of the floating thing, and as far as I know this function doesn't do anything on the mac.

Toolbars that can only float are not user friendly, which is the entire point of wxIFM, so I will definately not be considering adding "floating only" functionality just for mac.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

...which is the entire point of wxIFM, so I will definately not be considering adding "floating only" functionality just for mac.
Ok, I'll have to live with that.
Toolbars that can only float are not user friendly...
That may be on Windows, but on Mac, everything floats. I am building an MDI app right now and on Mac the MDI frame does not visually exist. The first thing you see is the first Child. Any toolbar in such an app will have to float to begin with. The Frame does not have a "surface".
Peavey Electronics

SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

By the way, read your private messages. =P

This view on the mac of "everything floating" is strange. If everything is indeed always "floating" it may be possible to enable floating in wxIFM for mac. I'll need more details though.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike »

By the way, read your private messages. =P
Oh. look at that. I did not notice! :oops:
I'll need more details though.
Coming up! Let me fiddle around with IFM on Mac. I might even learn how to do a screenshot :wink:
Peavey Electronics