New layout of the forum

Forum announcements are posted here. New cool features, scheduled backups and maintenance, you name it.
Jorg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Delft, Netherlands
Contact:

New layout of the forum

Postby Jorg » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:46 pm

Hi guys,

Ryan mentioned some more logical layout, I agreed the forum topics (about the forum itself) were a bit misplaced. So I added two sections for the wxWidgets Forum itself, and renamed some categories.

I hope this is to everyone's liking ... :wink:

- Jorgen
Last edited by Jorg on Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:59 pm

Looks Good!

One last request - is there a way to stick "moderator" or "admistrator" under our names?
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

Jorg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Delft, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Jorg » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:04 pm

You mean like behind your name ? If you are visible online, your name is green at the bottom which means you are a moderator to others. Other people are marked blue I think. Admins are marked orange ..

In every forum people are reading they see on the top who is moderating it. :-)

By the way, your avatar is broken. :o

- Jorgen

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:03 pm

Jorg wrote:By the way, your avatar is broken. :o

Thanks - fixed.

BTW - I was just bringing up the moderator thing because on other forums it does this - also, people can't tell who a moderator is by just looking at posts...

Thanks!

Ryan
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:30 pm

Jorg - as a request, mayby you could shorten the width of the message table? It extends even beyond the 1024x800 range :)
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

Jorg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Delft, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Jorg » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:20 pm

Ryan Norton wrote:Jorg - as a request, mayby you could shorten the width of the message table? It extends even beyond the 1024x800 range :)


What exactly do you mean? The forum can be sized until 849 pixels in width without the browser refusing to resize the board and showing slider bars..

- Jorgen

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:38 pm

Jorg wrote:What exactly do you mean? The forum can be sized until 849 pixels in width without the browser refusing to resize the board and showing slider bars..

- Jorgen


Well, on IE it always show the slider bars on the bottom, even when maximized in 1024x800 mode...
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:44 pm

Ryan Norton wrote:
Jorg wrote:What exactly do you mean? The forum can be sized until 849 pixels in width without the browser refusing to resize the board and showing slider bars..

- Jorgen


Well, on IE it always show the slider bars on the bottom, even when maximized in 1024x800 mode...


OK - Firefox and Opera perform correctly - this is an IE issue. Must be something in the css code someplace...
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

Jorg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Delft, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Jorg » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:03 pm

I see. Sorry but indeed I use FireFox ever since stupid IE was so vulnerable for severe security attacks so I didn't noticed this .. I never switched back because I like FF very much, and under Linux I have the same browser.

So funny how SP2 only patched some Active X holes in IE. Whenever you check the "allow active X" again you get the same situation back ;-) no sir, no more IE for me.

- Jorgen

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:18 pm

Jorg wrote:I see. Sorry but indeed I use FireFox ever since stupid IE was so vulnerable for severe security attacks so I didn't noticed this .. I never switched back because I like FF very much, and under Linux I have the same browser.

So funny how SP2 only patched some Active X holes in IE. Whenever you check the "allow active X" again you get the same situation back ;-) no sir, no more IE for me.

- Jorgen


That's exactly why I use I.E. - ActiveX controls. They are really neat, have a ton of functionality, and can be programmed in C++.

Of course, that's the problem too - instead of doing neat things to trick people into installing annoyances...

However, now people are migrating from those to using java apps with security holes in them, so it's only a matter of time before FireFox has the exact same problems.

RedSheriff is already using java to do their dirty work, and there are plenty more already there....

Anyway, I'll check out the html a bit...
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:26 pm

Problem found -

<td width="125" height="69" class="logo" align="left"><a href="index.php"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_left.gif" width="125" height="69" alt="wxWidgets Discussion Forum Forum Index" /></a></td>
<td width="100%" class="logo" align="center" valign="middle" style="color: #FFF; font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;">wxWidgets Discussion Forum</span><br /><span style="font-size: 14px;">Discussion forum for wxWidgets C++ / Python programming</span></td>
<td width="125" height="69" class="logo" align="right"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_right.gif" width="125" height="69" /></td>

Which is at the top of the body, should be changed to something like the following:

<td width="10%" height="69" class="logo" align="left"><a href="index.php"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_left.gif" width="125" height="69" alt="wxWidgets Discussion Forum Forum Index" /></a></td>
<td width="80%" class="logo" align="center" valign="middle" style="color: #FFF; font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;">wxWidgets Discussion Forum</span><br /><span style="font-size: 14px;">Discussion forum for wxWidgets C++ / Python programming</span></td>
<td width="10%" height="69" class="logo" align="right"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_right.gif" width="125" height="69" /></td>

I.E. the width values would extend beyond 100%, so just change them so that it evens out to 100%
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

User avatar
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:14 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Contact:

Postby tierra » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:55 pm

See, now if you spent half as much time fixing wx bugs, it'd be perfect :D

Jorg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Delft, Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Jorg » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:53 pm

I have changed the layout as you suggested Ryan, can you check if it will work under IE ? This is the changed code:

[syntax="html"]
<td width="10%" height="69" class="logo" align="left"><a href="index.php"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_left.gif" width="125" height="69" alt="wxWidgets Discussion Forum Forum Index" /></a></td>
<td width="80%" class="logo" align="center" valign="middle" style="color: #FFF; font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;">wxWidgets Discussion Forum</span><br /><span style="font-size: 14px;">Discussion forum for wxWidgets C++ / Python programming</span></td>
<td width="10%" height="69" class="logo" align="right"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_right.gif" width="125" height="69" /></td>
[/syntax]
Regards,
- Jorgen

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:00 pm

Jorg wrote:I have changed the layout as you suggested Ryan, can you check if it will work under IE ? This is the changed code:

[syntax="html"]
<td width="10%" height="69" class="logo" align="left"><a href="index.php"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_left.gif" width="125" height="69" alt="wxWidgets Discussion Forum Forum Index" /></a></td>
<td width="80%" class="logo" align="center" valign="middle" style="color: #FFF; font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;">wxWidgets Discussion Forum</span><br /><span style="font-size: 14px;">Discussion forum for wxWidgets C++ / Python programming</span></td>
<td width="10%" height="69" class="logo" align="right"><img src="./templates/Morpheus/images/logo_right.gif" width="125" height="69" /></td>
[/syntax]
Regards,
- Jorgen


YAY!!!!

Now I don't have to scroll to the side to see everything :).

Thank you!!!
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

User avatar
Ryan Norton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:01 pm

Postby Ryan Norton » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:02 pm

tierra wrote:See, now if you spent half as much time fixing wx bugs, it'd be perfect :D


That would be approximately 100 seconds then.

Personally, I don't know about you, but if I spent that much time each day on wx bugs I don't think it would do a whole lot :lol:.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]


Return to “Forum Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest