Changed the layout a bit

Forum announcements are posted here. New cool features, scheduled backups and maintenance, you name it.
Jorg

Changed the layout a bit

Post by Jorg »

If there are objections or a better structure please tell me.

Also, we have an open discussion forum which will not be moderated other then when bad language is used. When people go ask C++ problems in there, we might take the liberty of moving them to the right forum for the sake of having more chance of being answered. Other then that, everything is allowed in that forum :-)

Hope it is ok like this.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
vdell
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Re: Changed the layout a bit

Post by vdell »

Jorg wrote: Also, we have an open discussion forum which will not be moderated other then when bad language is used. When people go ask C++ problems in there, we might take the liberty of moving them to the right forum for the sake of having more chance of being answered. Other then that, everything is allowed in that forum :-)
Hey, I thought "Open discussion" was too formal, heh. ;) Seriously, nice job! Hopefully people will start some interesting topics in the open discussion forum.
Visual C++ 9.0 / Windows XP Pro SP3 / wxWidgets 2.9.0 (SVN) | Colligere
ABX
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Re: Changed the layout a bit

Post by ABX »

Jorg wrote:If there are objections or a better structure please tell me.
It's your forum and you are the master :)

The only request I have is to remove Open Discussions from RSS reader (or create special one for it).

Thanks for all your work.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Hehe ... in despite of a better name, your suggestion was better then mine although I think it is a bit formal ;-)

Well ABX, the new rss template generator Tyler is working on will allow you to specify exactly what forums you can see in your RSS. There are only a few small template errors that need to be eliminated, but other then that his implementation looks very cool :-)

So until then, please be patient. It won't be much visited right away it needs some time to be discovered, so by then we have a diffrent RSS system.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
Tyler
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Tyler »

Yeah, I had it done last week, but I hadn't counted on the Morpheus template being so different from the default phpBB template so it took me a few days to fix up the style. :x I sent it to Jorgen a few minutes ago, so hopefully there won't be any more oddities. :D

-Tyler
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

You guys ROCK!

One last note for the RSS thing - what I'd like to do is get all posts from a certain date....

is it possible to do that?
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
Tyler
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Tyler »

Ryan Norton wrote:You guys ROCK!

One last note for the RSS thing - what I'd like to do is get all posts from a certain date....

What do you mean? You want to go back and only get posts between a certain date, or you want RSS to only give new posts after a certain date?
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

Tyler wrote:
Ryan Norton wrote:You guys ROCK!

What do you mean? You want to go back and only get posts between a certain date, or you want RSS to only give new posts after a certain date?
The latter - all new posts from a certain date (although theres no way for the RSS feed itself to determine whats new - thats up to the reader).

Supposively the reader would keep track of which date it last checked and then only get posts from that date
Tyler
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Tyler »

Ryan Norton wrote: The latter - all new posts from a certain date (although theres no way for the RSS feed itself to determine whats new - thats up to the reader).

Supposively the reader would keep track of which date it last checked and then only get posts from that date
Yea I can do that, but once you generate your RSS feed URL, it will always return posts from that date onward. In order to change from which date it pulls posts after, you'd have to come back to the board, re-generate your RSS URL, and then plug it into your aggregator.

Is that something you were looking for, or that people will want to do?
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

Tyler wrote:Yea I can do that, but once you generate your RSS feed URL, it will always return posts from that date onward. In order to change from which date it pulls posts after, you'd have to come back to the board, re-generate your RSS URL, and then plug it into your aggregator.
Right - thanks that would be awesome!
Is that something you were looking for, or that people will want to do?
Personal - I was thinking of making my own little RSS reader for this forum. The problem with the default RSS is that it only returns a certain number of posts - do it from a date and you've got them all :).
Tyler
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Tyler »

Ryan Norton wrote:
Personal - I was thinking of making my own little RSS reader for this forum. The problem with the default RSS is that it only returns a certain number of posts - do it from a date and you've got them all :).
Well I can do it from a date sure, but we still need to set an upper limit right? I mean, with 10K+ posts, you really don't want them all coming back. lol Not saying you would abuse it, but others would "accidentally" retrieve all posts and the toll on the server would be brutal. Right now I have it set to a max of 100. I can easily set it higher if people like. What are your thoughts on that though?
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

Tyler wrote:
Ryan Norton wrote:
Well I can do it from a date sure, but we still need to set an upper limit right? I mean, with 10K+ posts, you really don't want them all coming back. lol Not saying you would abuse it, but others would "accidentally" retrieve all posts and the toll on the server would be brutal. Right now I have it set to a max of 100. I can easily set it higher if people like. What are your thoughts on that though?
Rather then setting a max why not set a maximum date? Say maybe a month
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

I agree on Tyler. For the sake of bandwidth, I would not like people to get back a lot of posts, which is useless anyway.

I would say a month is fine, but still count down from the today's date as far as you can get in that month with a restriction of max posts. When max posts is 250 and there are more in a month, 250 newest posts are returned.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
Tyler
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Tyler »

Yes a comprimise of the two solutions is probably best. I can add this change over the next couple of weeks.

-Tyler