Handing over the forum

Forum announcements are posted here. New cool features, scheduled backups and maintenance, you name it.
Jorg

Handing over the forum

Post by Jorg »

Hi Guys,

I have not been visible much for the last few weeks, months maybe. This is because my work demands a lot of time, and my areas of interests are diverged.

Now, I would like to make someone admin, give him also the passwords to the plesk web interface, SSH server and what have you of the hosting service the forum is running on.

I am doing this because I simply can't make time it seems to do the most basic tasks, ans despite of all promises or "starts" I wanted to make to continue maintenance or extending or even upgrading this forum it simply just didn't happen.

My area of expertise is now Java, I hardly code at home anymore which I used wxWidgets the most for, I also had one job where I was fortunate enough to use wxPython which seemed like a job made in heaven but unfortunately that job didn't last long. My current job as a Forsensic Software Engineer, is mainly with Java and .NET there is no C++ involved, so I do not see me getting back to wxWidgets any time soom.

Areas of interest to take a first look at is the backup mechanism through plesk to an FTP server, maybe going to phpbb 3.0 or fix minor issues. I would prefer someone to take over who really wants to bring this forum further technically, I simply can't find the time.

So, to make a long announcement short, who is willing to run this forum? I will hand over complete DB access, help with the transition and some pointers where needed.

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

I've recently been in sort of the same situation. I've been working full-time for the last 7 years with a wxWidgets-based software, but quit a couple months ago. I still plan to continue keeping up a decent level of of activity within the wxWidgets project though. I may still even find another company locally that works with wxWidgets (maybe Mozy), but that's currently up in the air.

Anyway, I feel like I still manage to do a pretty good job keeping up maintenance and service with the official site, docs.wxwidgets.org and the wxWiki, and wouldn't be opposed to managing these forums as well if necessary. Though if there is someone with more free time on their hands that is willing to really put forth in depth time to do more than just software updates and security patches and misc fixes (as I'm sure that's all I would find the time for), then that would be better.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Hi Tierra,

Thank you un advance for the offer. It is not that I will abandon it totally when there is no one who is willing to take it forward, I will not be as visible but I will keep maintaining it. It is just that with everything going and all, the forum kind of "deserves better" to be brought forward.

With regards,
- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Yes, same here...

I still code using wxWidgets in my free time, but I can't find the time to do any maintenance anymore, let alone hacking on the forum code.

Although I visit daily and post from time to time, I had a feeling like Jorg: The forum deserves better.
Maybe it's time for some "fresh air". When Jorg "leaves" and we find another (maybe two) admins, I offer my place and would liek to demote me to moderator, which is a way more fitting position for me now.

What about asking our top posters? Auria is a mod, but we could ask doublemax if he'd like to help out. He's very active, but still no moderator.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

upCASE wrote: What about asking our top posters? Auria
I'm afraid I wouldn't have much more time than any of you, unfortunately :( my time is already fully occupied by the projects I'm involved in, so I can't really get involved in one more. I'm happy to remain moderator though :)
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Hi all,

If nobody really has the time to take over to participate more actively in administring, or will do it out of obligation, or fear the forum will slowly degrade, then there should be no worries. I will keep maintaining it where needed if people have login problems or other problems I will keep helping them I will however not be as visible as I used to be.

So, let's wait for a while see how it goes if nobody really CAN take this forum forward (we al lead busy lives) at least I won't feel as bad if it takes some longer for me to do so. :-)

With regards,
- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Jorg wrote:Hi all,

If nobody really has the time to take over to participate more actively in administring, or will do it out of obligation, or fear the forum will slowly degrade, then there should be no worries. I will keep maintaining it where needed if people have login problems or other problems I will keep helping them I will however not be as visible as I used to be.

So, let's wait for a while see how it goes if nobody really CAN take this forum forward (we al lead busy lives) at least I won't feel as bad if it takes some longer for me to do so. :-)

With regards,
- Jorgen
Iam not long-time wxWidgetter but I can take that as long as It is Joint effort. I mean that you remain Admin too. I can no longer see Norton and many others. I will be happy to do upgrades and other modern stuffs. But you should remain as admin I guess. I cannot assume full admin alone but iam willing to join hand in making the forum modern and updates.

The one big thing is to make it searchable via google. That will make it famous and hence many new members.
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?