HTML help now added in header

Forum announcements are posted here. New cool features, scheduled backups and maintenance, you name it.
Jorg

HTML help now added in header

Post by Jorg »

Hi,

I thought it would be a good :idea: to have links to the HTML help reference guide of wxWidgets in the header (see links above) because sometimes when helping someone you need to find that one class that the person needs.

Syntax highlighting will also come shortly, is there anything else that needs to be added?

- Jorgen
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

Not for me - you've done a fantastic job with the bords Jorg!

Thanks!

Ryan
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

On the topic of syntax highlighting, I wonder if there's any way we can get wx class documentation linking in there much like the wiki.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Interesting idea :) well the syntax highlighting requires some tweaking in the code. I am no PHP guru but maybe we can create something where the code is checked and every class started with wx will get a link to the latest help. This requires some thoughts, if anybody knows PHP well I would like to give that a try.

I will try to implement syntax highlighting tonight after I have checked in the forum in my local SVN repository, so I know I will not screq things up ...

- Jorgen
KaReL
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by KaReL »

I would be happy to help?
wxWidgets: SVN/trunk
Compiler: VS2005 + GCC 4.2 + GCC 4.0.1
-----
home: http://www.salvania.be
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

KaReL, that would be great! Let me first add the syntax highlighting module. Maybe it is so obvious what needs to change for the wx class linking that it can be done easily.

As far as I see, it would probably need some altering in the guy's syntax highlight php script where the parser for determining the right colour would also recognise the wx prefixed classes.

The only few problems I can think of, is that constants are also found that way, we need to eliminate that they are referened as well. And the help of wxWidgets should be consistent enough that every class translation can be found that way ofcourse.

Regards,
- Jorgen
KaReL
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by KaReL »

I am currently thinking of something like a daily parsing of the html-pages (constants and functions). That way you are always updated with the latest generated functions.
Then you can easily check on words against the local database... Much quicker ;)
wxWidgets: SVN/trunk
Compiler: VS2005 + GCC 4.2 + GCC 4.0.1
-----
home: http://www.salvania.be
kaffee
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by kaffee »

About the docs, are they available as XML documents somewhere? I am itching to make a neat XSL style sheet for the docs.

The biggest shortcoming IMO in the current docs is the lack of method descriptions from inherited base classes in the class description..
Ryan Wilcox
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ryan Wilcox »

The docs are checked into wxWidgets CVS... as LaTeX. You'd need to find some sort of LaTeX->XML converter. A quick google should pick up a useful tool.

(But yes, I agree that the lack of inherited methods is certainly a hinderance to people new to the enviroment.)
Ryan Wilcox
Wilcox Development Solutions
http://www.wilcoxd.com
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

KaReL wrote:I am currently thinking of something like a daily parsing of the html-pages (constants and functions). That way you are always updated with the latest generated functions.
Then you can easily check on words against the local database... Much quicker ;)
I agree. It wouldn't even have to be done every day, just make sure no-one forgets about it. A simple parse of the class listing, grab out class names and links, check against DB, then when it comes to editing the code highlighters, check for "wx" like you said, then check against names in the DB. If there's a match, then it's a valid class and you can link it, otherwise it's a constant or something else.
Abdulhamid Dhaiban
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Abdulhamid Dhaiban »

Hi freinds,

I am a wxWindows bigginer.

Please, I don't know what do you mean by "the links are in the header"?

I am intersting in an easy documentation for wxWindows.

I can't find anything.

Dhaiban
Plan before you begin
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Hi,

In the header of this forum, there are two links, wx2.4.2 and wx2.5.3 these are online links to help for wxWidhgets. It is easy when explaining something to a forum member, to reference the class documentation this way.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb