New upload mod!

Forum announcements are posted here. New cool features, scheduled backups and maintenance, you name it.
Jorg

New upload mod!

Post by Jorg »

Hi all!

I'm happy to announce that upCASE has once again implemented a great mod for our forum, the upload module!

No more picture share sites you need to search for, or be worried your attachment is removed before people are able to answer. This is how it works;

After the regular new post or reply section, a new section is added called "Add an Attachment". Simply browse for the picture, source or archive you want to upload, give it a comment and press [Add Attachment].

Now for some rules:
* PM messages are also allowed to have attachments
* The attachments are pruned (I assume oldest goes first) when the storage of all attachments goes >50Mb.
* Everybody can post 3 attachments per message (for convenience purposes, like a picture, header and c file, or archive, plus some example pictures
* Every attachment can be max 512Kb in size
* The extensions allowed are .png .jpg .gif .rar .zip .7z .cpp .h .cxx .hxx .hpp .txt (I might have forgotten some)
* If you need more extensions please ask upCASE or me.

This is basically it. We are still finetuning the configuration. Thumbnail support is not yet working, but you can simply click on the link for download.

It is allowed and even encouraged to post the code you write in the Code Dump section as attachment for ease of use, and use the main section of the discussion for information and collaboration.

If you have new announcements of your project, but it is not related to a problem, it's recommended to keep the attachments on your own server or seperate space. If you cannot find a seperate space for your release, we will not delete the files, but be aware that a pruning system is active.

We might want to see how we can prevent the code snippets in the Code Dump section to be pruned, but maybe Guru or someone else already copied them to the wxSnippets site by that time.

Anyway, thanks go to upCASE for once again his great work on the attachment mod, and I hope it will be put to good use!

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
After monitoring the new MOD for some days now, it seems to be working just fine.
I case that you notice failures, please report them here in this thread, so that we can take care of them.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Is the file upload supposed to be able to let users add files when posting a new topic? It seems to not work for me, and it sure would be nice.

Keep up the great work!
FlyingIsFun1217
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Yes, uploads can be done when posting a new thread or an answer to a thread. It's not truly an upload like FTP, but an "attachment" mod.

FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Well, yes, that I did know.
What seemed to not work is the actual display of the upload area when I was attempting to post a new thread.
Hopefully it was just a small quirk that I won't see again.

FlyingIsFun1217 :)
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
I'll check that again.

FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Not trying to bug anybody, but I think the problem for me is that I cannot upload a file (I do not get the area to do so) when either creating a topic, or trying to reply to it.

FlyingIsFun1217
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

I don't get it either, because the download area should be right under the message you are replying or a new message. Are you sure you have Javascript enabled? What browser do you use?

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Yep, javascript, cookies, basically any plugin I need...
Not to mention that right before posting new topics I flushed all of my cookies, cache, history, etc.
Using Firefox.

As long as other people are not having a problem :)

FlyingIsFun1217
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

The attachments are pruned (I assume oldest goes first) when the storage of all attachments goes >50Mb.
This is my only real concern - as the new mod becomes more popular and due to the popularity of the forums this will probably fill up faster then we expect. We could lose a lot of old good stuff; not sure what the answer is though - maybe just make an infinate amount of space and wait and see how fast it fills up :D?
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Ryan Norton wrote:not sure what the answer is though - maybe just make an infinate amount of space and wait and see how fast it fills up :D?
Hope it's a large server... :P

FlyingIsFun1217
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Yeah we have to think about that ... I believe that the most attachments that will be posted are attachments elaborating a problem, like a picture or piece of code. Whenever we will have to make sure that some code is not deleted, maybe a prefix to the filename is a good idea. We can alter the mod a bit so that the files containing a prefix are not purged, e.g. for the Code Dump section.

We will cross that bridge when we get there, right now the attachement pool is about 1,5 Mb .. so we can go on for a while .. but it has been a point of concern ;-)

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
phlox81
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by phlox81 »

After reading a lot of Topics with posted attachments,
I thought today, if it is possible to display the attached pictures in the Thread,
instead having to download them first...
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Yes, this is possible.

I had a limit set for image dimensions, which might have been a little bit too small. I removed this restriction, so images should display inline now.

Maybe we should agree on a new maximum dimension for images and set that, because having big images might make posts unreadable.

phlox81
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by phlox81 »

yes, I agree to a limit, since this is a forum and not flickr :lol: