Getting gipped out of my points Topic is solved

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Getting gipped out of my points

Post by metalogic »

I'm getting tired of spending all this time helping people and they either don't ever assign points or assign points to themselves even as they are thanking you for giving them the correct answers.

Maybe we need a "Claim my points" button?

In the meantime, can an admin review http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?p=41288#41288 and if they agree that those points belong to me reassign them (the poster assigned them to himself).

Not that the points are worth money or anything :P But it's just encouraging.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Well it's nice that people see value in the system, but some people indeed misinterpret who to give points. Maybe we need a two way check on assigning points to the asker itself. Something like;

- Originator accepts himself
- System asks, are you sure you want to assign points to yourself? with checkbox
- If checked and submit is pressed it is done else nothing.

Reclaiming points is also an option, maybe when pressed an IM is sent to the admin / admins asking him to revise the post.

We will have to discuss this with upCASE sometime. In the meantime I assigned your points ;-)

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
benedicte
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by benedicte »

I wonder how many questions have been "solved" and how many are still opened.
I have replied to a lot of questions, they are still opened but I feel the problem is resolved.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Our new system should notify the users. I am not sure how far upCASE was with implementing it. Anyway what happens a lot is that people have a problem, they subscribe, ask, do not even bother to reply but read the reply of a kind poster, and only log on when they have another problem. For people like those the award system does not work. And mods do not have the time to check every post to see if they are answered or not.

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic »

Jorg wrote:We will have to discuss this with upCASE sometime. In the meantime I assigned your points ;-)
Thanks for taking the time to do this Jorg.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Jorg wrote:Maybe we need a two way check on assigning points to the asker itself.
This should never happen. If the original poster marks his own post, he doesn't get any points.
Another way would be to create a new icon for marking own posts accepted. It would read something like "close question" and would only be shown for the poster himself.
Jorg wrote:Our new system should notify the users. I am not sure how far upCASE was with implementing it.
It's more or less complete. I can enable it right now if you like. I didn't enable it as I was on vacation the last two weeks and didn't like the thought of not being there in case something strange happens.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
dsk
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by dsk »

Today I have opened 2 random resolved topics.
In both, selected "correct answer post" was posted by topic maker :)

I think, that many people don't understand how it works...
Back to wxWidgets and c++, from long time with php projects
Scorpion
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

The point is...

Post by Scorpion »

Anyone so vain as to award themselves points should be able to justify the reasoning as to why they deserve them. Some would sit there posting half-a** listings or half-cocked suggestions wasting everyone's time and get points almost justifiably so, but how do you or can you justify awarding yourself points.

It may be accidental that some would award points to themselves but highly unlikely as they know that they were the one with the question and not the answers. Points are awards that you give to someone as a thankyou I appreciate the fact that you taken the time to worry about my problem for me. In contrast points are not there or intended to fatten someone's sorry butt cause they think they're cool.

What do you do post a question already having the answer, then solve your own problem with cut and paste?

"Hey I've been programming for ten years and I just learned how to use the hot-keys ctrl-v, let paste the answer there, that's good, whew made short work of that task...I think I deserve an award!!! Here let me give myself forty thousand points and dethrone God. Oh yeah baby, who's your daddy?" Meanwhile one of you all has been up most of the previous evening busting skull on a hidden bug, then goes to work to hear it all, and deadlines, then come here and genuinely try to help someone only to get skulked.

That's real cool, real dignified, but on a lighter note I myself have yet to figure out how to award any points myself. I tried to do it too but am without a single clue, I couldn't resolve the issues I was having with my other thirty personalities so we all agreed to dis-agree.

There are alot of people that come to, rely on and/or enjoy being here for the learning and growth. They aren't coming here to be held up in an ego contest with grown adults acting like snot-nosed, infantile brats.

If they can't justify awarding themselves points it should be dismissed and un-awarded, period, as simple as that. If a member engages in this type of behavior repeatedly, like three times, then should start losing their points determined upon severity and past behavior. Lose points three times the Mods meet and decide whether-or-not to send ya' packing.

Undermining someone helping another should be penalized by loss of points to be determined by the appropriate mod, no discussions end of story type deal, immediately. These types of behavior is what chases away the community and the strengths that come from networking with others in a productive environment, and makes you all look like jerk A-holes.

The above points are my own and I accept full responsibilty for them, and they might as well already be governance to how you all run this forum, and if so my apologies for the wasted space. If the above is not, then in short they will work. DevShed has some really good rules covering these types of behaviors. Use your resources and network, that's business.

Google has a movie you can watch from your browser regarding the topics discussed here at:

How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People (And You Can Too)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ople&hl=en

I watched it about three/four days ago myself. It is quite insightful.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Just to put one myth out of the world, the original posters cannot award points to themselves. The mechanism only allows awards to be assigned to anybody other then the poster.

It's only a mechanism to put some spice into answering, it is not linked to anything but a nice 'status' indication. For example, we had people who got cocky towards other forum members. One reader noticed that the one (being right) had 500+ awards and the one being wrong only 30+ points. You can safely say that more value is given to the person with the highest award status.

But again, it is only a fun thing. Nobody gets paid by awards. Some value it more then others.

I strive to get 6% of the treasure chest. Just for the fun it ;-)

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
Scorpion
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Okey dokey:

Post by Scorpion »

Takes care of any and every question I had about that system.

Thankyou.
Win 2K Pro
XP Home
Ubuntu (Ndiswrapper Deluxe Pro Ultra Grade)
Palm 3.5 (Still Alive and Kickin')
Playstation Portable, and Too Much Coffee
I can feel my skin crawling...icky!