British English, but no American English

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.
LoganDark
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

British English, but no American English

Post by LoganDark »

Why is there no American English option in addition to the normal British English? Can you consider adding it please?

Thanks!
Last edited by LoganDark on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doublemax

Re: British English, but no American English

Post by doublemax »

@LoganDark

Your request has been noted. However, i can't tell you when it will be fulfilled, if ever. And if the spelling of "colour" disturbs you, you may try to find help somewhere else.
Use the source, Luke!
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

We have a couple extensions installed that don't provide/support American English, mostly due to the fact that phpBB itself uses British English as it's source locale. Being that wxWidgets does the same, we've never really thought it might be a problem for anyone. Installing additional locales requires extra updates and maintenance that's just not worth the burden or time we have to add it, and again, if we did, parts of the board would render unpredictably, and possibly be broken for the one or two percent of users that take the time to switch to American English.
LoganDark
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by LoganDark »

tierra wrote:We have a couple extensions installed that don't provide/support American English
The extensions will just use their default language then, and everything will be fine.
tierra wrote:Installing additional locales requires extra updates and maintenance that's just not worth the burden or time we have to add it
Installing a locale involves unzipping a file into a folder. American English is so similar to British English that most of the work is practically already done. Some extensions already use a subset of British English identical to American English anyway.
tierra wrote:the one or two percent of users that take the time to switch to American English.
The one or two percent would really appreciate it...

————————————————————————————————

If you could just allow me to switch the core UI (namely "Font Colour" above the text area) to American English, or even at the very least just give me the option of selecting it as a language in the language selector, that would be an improvement. While "colour" does bother me to some extent, the fact that there is an explicit "British" English option but no American English option is what sparked me to create this post...

Ty
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

While "colour" does bother me to some extent, the fact that there is an explicit "British" English option but no American English option is what sparked me to create this post...
In that case, maybe we could rename "British English" to just "English"? (I have no idea if that's even possible with reasonable amount of effort.)
Use the source, Luke!
LoganDark
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by LoganDark »

doublemax wrote:In that case, maybe we could rename "British English" to just "English"? (I have no idea if that's even possible with reasonable amount of effort.)
Maybe, although that could imply that British English is the only English language... It would probably work for me, though.