Multiple Groups for Different Programmers

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.

Should we lt members join their groups?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 7

lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Multiple Groups for Different Programmers

Post by lowjoel »

Yea the title says it all. Will it be a good idea to join predefined groups to see forums specific for each forum? i.e. windows programmers will see the windows-related forums, linux programmers see their linux ones, and mac programmers see their mac ones? This is so that people can "specialize", and if you want to do more than two, you are most welcome to join more than 1 group.

Will this be a good idea?

Joel
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

Why bother with groups at all, why not just show the forums? I think making people join groups is too much hassle and doesn't really provide much benefit.
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

thing is that some developers dont want to see forums not related to his career line
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

But we're only talking about a couple of forums, right? Is it really that distracting?

The only way I personally would think this is a good idea is if by default everyone was a member of all of them, including the "Guest" user that non-registered members see. Otherwise, the forums are likely to be overlooked and not used. That's my concern.
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

dont you think that seeing no forums means somethings awfully wrong ;)
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

It was my impression that these groups would only be for Windows, Linux and Mac forums, so that even if you were hiding all of them you would still see every forum in existance as of now.

Since we seem to agree all of them should be enabled by default, I have to wonder how many people will bother to investigate how to turn off the ones they don't want?
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

no turn them off by default... and on register, send them a PM direct (i can mod the registration system for that) so that they will join.... or better still, i can write a "forum setup wizard" to get them to see what forums they want. so win32 developers see win32 only forums, and dont get bothered with their linux and mac ones... which they have no... bindings with
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

That sounds alright, but there are still two potential problems:

1) Non-registered users. I think users browsing the forums should see all forums, so that they can see the full availability of the discussions. Is this what you had in mind?

2) Users already registered. Can a PM be sent to all registered users alerting them of the change?
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

yes to both ;)