Suggestion: robots.txt: only in stable

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.
wxJasper
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Suggestion: robots.txt: only in stable

Post by wxJasper »

This is more of a site-in-general remark than a forum remark, but this did appear to be the best place to post such a comment.

This is a suggestion for the online wxWidgets documentation. It has often happened to me just a bit too often that I ended up on an old version of the documentation through google. So my suggestion would be a robots.txt file on docs.wxwidgets.org that disallows search engines from crawling anything but the stable documentation!
One can still visit the older documentation, but no longer will you end up there unsuspectingly from Google...
Last edited by wxJasper on Wed May 26, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Hi,

I think it's a good idea, but it will probably receive more attention from the right people on the mailing list (the vast majority of people here are wx users, not admins)
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

You're in luck, I would be in charge of this, and this is a good suggestion. I'll get around to doing so soon here.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

Alright, I've blocked all but 2.8.11 and SVN trunk (2.9) in robots.txt.
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

tierra wrote:Alright, I've blocked all but 2.8.11 and SVN trunk (2.9) in robots.txt.
thanks! I must admit it annoyed me too that I would randomly end on 2.6 docs when googling :)
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows