Need to log in twice to make it stick Topic is solved

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.
HJTrost
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Need to log in twice to make it stick

Post by HJTrost »

I've noticed that I need to log in twice every time before it sticks (except when for some reason I am re-logged in automatically upon going to forums.wxwidgets.org). It seems to make no difference if I use the "Log in" link in the upper of teh two link bars, or the login corner at the top right. This is the only site where that happens.

How come?

Cheers, Jochen
Nil nimium studeo, Caesar, tibi velle placere
nec scire ut an sis albus an ater homo.
Catullus
HJTrost
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by HJTrost »

I should have added that I use Firefox 3.0.13.

Cheers, Jochen
Catullus
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Weird; I have the same FireFox, go here on OS X, Linux and Windows, never saw such problem
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

It seems to be related to session management. However I have never seen this happening. Did you disable cookies or changed any security settings?

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
HJTrost
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by HJTrost »

Jorg wrote:It seems to be related to session management. However I have never seen this happening. Did you disable cookies or changed any security settings?
Nothing unusual, I think. I don't block any cookies and let them sit until they expire. There's not much to change under "Security" in Firefox either.

Another "add-on": I use Windows XP SP3. I'll try from the Ubuntu 8.04 side some time (same machine, alternate boot).

Cheers, Jochen
Catullus
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Yes please as I can't really figure out what it might be. I never seen it happening.

What I did see happening is when you click to open the forum on a new tab and it is still loading in firefox and you want to open another tab by middle click it reuses the forum tab which gets the weird effect when you reload the forum again you are logged out, and all messages are marked as read. It might be related to opening too many sockets to one site that sometimes race conditions occur. Did you tweak FF to run faster with multiple connections?

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
HJTrost
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by HJTrost »

Jorg wrote:Yes please as I can't really figure out what it might be. I never seen it happening.

What I did see happening is when you click to open the forum on a new tab and it is still loading in firefox and you want to open another tab by middle click it reuses the forum tab which gets the weird effect when you reload the forum again you are logged out, and all messages are marked as read. It might be related to opening too many sockets to one site that sometimes race conditions occur. Did you tweak FF to run faster with multiple connections?
Jorgen,

here I am under Ubuntu 8.04 with FireFox 3.0.13, and I got in with a single try. Another thing to add to my configuration (I'm somewhat slow on this, it seems :( ) is NoScript. wxwidgets.org and shadownet.com are allowed, of course. I let NoScript update itself whenever it asks, so with that one I'm pretty much up to date, better on XP that Ubuntu because I use Ubuntu quite rarely yet.

And no, no tweaking whatsoever. Also, while I may have multiple tabs open - essentially never more than three -, I'm active almost always in just one, in particular when I am coming to these forums. Action in other tabs may be the severe.worldweather.org home page loading which can take some time, but that is a site I don't look at often.

Cheers, Jochen
Catullus
HJTrost
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by HJTrost »

I've been busy for quite a while and haven't followed up further on my problems. Now I've logged in for a new issue to be discussed elsewhere, and the login worked fits try. I suggest that we close this topic herewith as I seem to be the only one having had this stickiness issue. I'll turn around and accept this my replay as a satisfactory answer, which hopefully will succeed in marking this topic as closed.

Cheers, Jochen
Catullus