Error "The submitted form was invalid"

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Error "The submitted form was invalid"

Post by PB »

Obviously, I do agree that the issue needs to be fixed ASAP. It has been going on for over a year, was quite bad for past few months but seems a bit better recently. Similarly, the docs search function being broken is not great.

I do not understand why Bryan did not (at least not publicly) answer to Danny's offer to look into it, see the other forum thread in wx-dev: https://groups.google.com/g/wx-dev/c/Cw ... kOdGIfCwAJ

Well, as I wrote before, as much as I find the issues irritating, we are getting this for free so I can't complain much.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Maybe he didn't want to give some random person on the internet access to lots of personal data? Or is Danny known in the wx world?

Having said that, if Bryan would give me (at least) ftp access, i'd be willing to look into this, too. The core problem seems to be that phpbb creates a new session id, although a respective cookie already exists on the client. I've looked into the phpbb sources and there are not too many code parts involved with this process. Maybe it would be possible to track down the underlying cause by putting some debug output into parts of that code.
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

doublemax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm Maybe he didn't want to give some random person on the internet access to lots of personal data? Or is Danny known in the wx world?
Not sure how known he is but have been helping with builds if I remember well, so may be there is a level of trust build. But how much? I can only speculate!
doublemax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm Having said that, if Bryan would give me (at least) ftp access, i'd be willing to look into this, too. The core problem seems to be that phpbb creates a new session id, although a respective cookie already exists on the client. I've looked into the phpbb sources and there are not too many code parts involved with this process. Maybe it would be possible to track down the underlying cause by putting some debug output into parts of that code.
That will be great. I will also be ready to lend any support necessary here on thread regarding PHP. I have good knowledge of dealing with PHP being Web Developer too ;)
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

doublemax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm Or is Danny known in the wx world?
AFAIK, Danny is preparing official MSW builds.
doublemax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm The core problem seems to be that phpbb creates a new session id, although a respective cookie already exists on the client.
I know nothing about phpBB or webdev, but how comes it used to work and then stopped without anything having changed on the server? There were some speculations about DOS attacks but I have no idea whether those were true.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

PB wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm
doublemax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm Or is Danny known in the wx world?
AFAIK, Danny is preparing official MSW builds.
Great, then it might be a good idea to let him take a shot. Especially since he wrote he has lots of free time :)
PB wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm
doublemax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm The core problem seems to be that phpbb creates a new session id, although a respective cookie already exists on the client.
I know nothing about phpBB or webdev, but how comes it used to work and then stopped without anything having changed on the server?
That's indeed the question of all questions. Why does it sometimes work and sometimes not?
There were some speculations about DOS attacks but I have no idea whether those were true.
Seems unlikely to me, then the server would somehow act slow when trying to log in. And the opposite seems to be the case, it fails very quickly.
Use the source, Luke!
JohnKnow
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by JohnKnow »

doublemax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 pm That's indeed the question of all questions. Why does it sometimes work and sometimes not?
The issue comes to me again.
I tried to log out, failed with session id mismatch.
I tried clear forum cookie, now I'm logout. Tried log in again, right top corner has my name, but WHO IS ONLINE didn't. Fresh the page, my name lost from right top cornor too. (Repeat these operations, and same result)
I tried log in in browser private mode, succeeded, my name in both right top and WHO IS ONLINE.

I guesss, it may because server session ID calculate or match algorithm is not compatible with cookie's. Or there is wild pointer or buffer overflow/underflow in php.
No, I know everything.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Update: Both Danny and I have been contacted by Bryan. As soon as we get access to the server, we'll try to take a look when time allows. Hopefully we can solve this issue :)
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

doublemax wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:03 am Update: Both Danny and I have been contacted by Bryan. As soon as we get access to the server, we'll try to take a look when time allows. Hopefully we can solve this issue :)
Good news. Thanks to Bryan for the step. If you face PHP stuffs that are hard to understand, I will be happy to help!
JohnKnow
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by JohnKnow »

It may be caused by that the forume is keeping change client's session ID. Further investigation is needed about why the forum was keeping change client sid.

I checked my local cookie, it has a session ID, I tried to use the session ID to make forum thinkg I'm user with that cookie by appending &sid=xxx to the URL.
But each time I load the page, my cookie's session ID is changed. I think the forum freshed it.

I tried many times, the laste time, my cookie's ID didn't change and I'm logged in.
No, I know everything.
fishnet37222
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by fishnet37222 »

For me, the issue only occurs with Chromium-based browsers such as Edge and Vivaldi. Right now I have to use Firefox in order to create new threads or respond to existing ones.
Dave F.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Short update: Last weekend was the first time i had some time to look into it. So far the issue was not at the places where i suspected. Unfortunately debugging PHP code is very slow tedious, basically just printf-debugging into a logfile. Especially when the site it still live and in use.

But i keep looking, hopefully next weekend again.
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

This issue have almost shut me off wxForum as the times that I'm mostly free are the ones when it hits home! :oops:
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

May be updating to latest PHPBB might help?
sparhawk
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by sparhawk »

I'm now hit also with this problem. Can't reply as I always get invalid form error.

Edit: Interestingly I could now reply to this thread... :-k