Error "The submitted form was invalid"

The Forum Rules, general FAQ and questions or comments about the forum are posted here.
doublemax

Re: Error "The submitted form was invalid"

Post by doublemax »

My only other idea would be to debug this at php/phpbb level: Writing some debug info into a logfile at crucial places, where SIDs get evaluated and generated, Cookies read and written etc. Just to narrow down where exactly the issue is.

Unfortunately server-side PHP is hard to debug.

BTW: For me the symptom has slightly changed: I can't log in at the beginning of the day (first login of the day?), but once it works, it seems to work for the rest of the day (even if i log out and quit the browser inbetween).
Use the source, Luke!
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

For me the symptom has slightly changed: I can't log in at the beginning of the day...
I noticed a similar thing since the forum upgrade: I don't log out/in overnight, just suspend the computer, but if I try to moderate anything first thing, it usually fails. After an hour or 2, back to normal.

PS: though it's 15:20pm here, this post is the first time today I've tried to do/post anything; and ironically, when trying to preview it I got "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."
Gremlins must have a sense of humour.

Trying again at 18:00...
Ronald
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Ronald »

Has it been fixed in the new version?

BTW, forum like manjaro's (https://forum.manjaro.org/) / cmake's (https://discourse.cmake.org/) is very convenient.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Ronald wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:31 am Has it been fixed in the new version?
No.
Ronald wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:31 am BTW, forum like manjaro's (https://forum.manjaro.org/) / cmake's (https://discourse.cmake.org/) is very convenient.
Personally, i hate these kind of forums.
Use the source, Luke!
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

Ronald wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:31 am BTW, forum like manjaro's (https://forum.manjaro.org/) / cmake's (https://discourse.cmake.org/) is very convenient.
I am just curious: What makes you think those forums more convenient then the classical structured ones like those powered by phpBB or SMF?

At the first glance, I personally find the two you linked rather unpleasant. Seemed more like chat then a platform suitable for serious technical discussion.

Having to stare at the busy cursor after clicking a topic is also not to my liking.
Ronald
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Ronald »

doublemax wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:26 am Personally, i hate these kind of forums.
PB wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:36 pm I am just curious: What makes you think those forums more convenient then the classical structured ones like those powered by phpBB or SMF?

At the first glance, I personally find the two you linked rather unpleasant. Seemed more like chat then a platform suitable for serious technical discussion.

Having to stare at the busy cursor after clicking a topic is also not to my liking.
At first I also don't like it, because it seems not professional enough and too fat.

But after using it for several weeks, I become to endure it though it can be better, here are some pros:
  • It can quote by any combination of selections
  • It supports markdown and real time preview
Of course what's most important is the ones who are very knowledgeable and generous to help others.
The forum is enough for me, the only problem is that sometimes I can't login or post in the forum, and using a fresh installed os can't solve the problem, what I can do is to wait for luck to login successfully.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

I am not saying this forum is perfect. Obviously, that it has not been working properly for at least 1.5 years is bad.

But, I also did not like losing the ability of the code block to highlight C++ code and even link to wxWidgets docs (after an upgrade couple of years back).

Some other features may seem dated, but IMO it is just good enough. OTOH, it is probably just me, but I do not miss the "social aspect" here. I have even avatars turned off.

We use the forum for free, there are not even ads here, so I cannot really complain much.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Doh! After few days of failing to login, i'm finally in #-o
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Strangely enough, i didn't have any error the last 2 or 3 days. Right now, i not only wish for the issue to go away, i'm actually really curious what's causing it :)
Use the source, Luke!
JohnKnow
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by JohnKnow »

Clear the site cookie works for me.

I have to assume it a php front-end upload component issue, as the error is reported by phpbb.plupload

phpbb.plupload = {
i18n: {
},
config: {
},
lang: {
ERROR: 'Error',
TOO_MANY_ATTACHMENTS: 'Cannot\u0020add\u0020another\u0020attachment,\u00203\u0020is\u0020the\u0020maximum.',
FORM_INVALID: 'The\u0020submitted\u0020form\u0020was\u0020invalid.\u0020Try\u0020submitting\u0020again.',
},
}

Got it by view the page source code
No, I know everything.
JohnKnow
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by JohnKnow »

I think we are closing to the root cause.
I believe it has relationship with the login status and the login status has relationship with session and request ID.

I guess it is a multi client login caused issue.
The latter login action will replace the login session ID with new one in the server side. Then prevous session ID wil be invalid.
But previous client doesn't clear its cookie this make the forum think the previous client still be login state. But the session ID is mismatch now.

Step1.
Check "WHO IS ONLINE" at forum bottom. It contains NO my name. But look at the right top cornor, I'm logged in.

Step2.
Post an reply, I will get this error.

Step3.
Trying logout. Failed with message "You were not logged out, as the request did not match your session. Please contact ..."

How I get this issue?
Both computer and phone are logged in status in this forum. (I don't remember their loggin order. Probably computer is the latter one.)
Use the forum in my phone.
Attachments
1571743335.jpg
1372048668.jpg
968981623.jpg
No, I know everything.
JohnKnow
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by JohnKnow »

New findings.
This make me assume the issue is a "Remember me" issue.

After my phone's log out failure.
My computer cant post reply then.

Then click the logout in phone. No error displayed and the right top cornor keep login status.

Post reply in computer. First time failed. Post again, then success.

Post reply in phone. Failed and ask a login.
No, I know everything.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Since the forum allowed me to post again, I have this question: is the forum going to be fixed or we have to live with this issue?
It is not healthy when the forum software decides when you can or cannot post. It will drive away a lot of contributions. If PHPBB does not work why not move to something else that works?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

evstevemd wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:56 am If PHPBB does not work why not move to something else that works?
is this really a phpBB issue or a server issue? I think phpBB still runs many forums without experiencing such issues, does it not?

And even if the migration was necessary: Who is going to spend his time, effort, and money of a potential move - did you read the thread in wx-dev?

Additionally, such migrations often result in loss of valuable historic data. Last but not least, they may annoy or even repel people who are accustomed to how things worked and are not happy with new design.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

PB wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:58 am is this really a phpBB issue or a server issue? I think phpBB still runs many forums without experiencing such issues, does it not?
At this point, I really don't know. Since I have not read any significant information about the troubleshooting of this issue anywhere yet. So I though it might be PHPBB. So may be am pointing a gun to the wrong people ;)
PB wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:58 am And even if the migration was necessary: Who is going to spend his time, effort, and money of a potential move - did you read the thread in wx-dev?
I missed this one somehow. It is a great thread and am only half-way. Thanks for pointing out!
PB wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:58 am Additionally, such migrations often result in loss of valuable historic data. Last but not least, they may annoy or even repel people who are accustomed to how things worked and are not happy with new design.
This is correct. However, if this is not going to be fixed (I hope it is not going to be the case), what will be the alternative?