Free Turbo C++ (for win32)

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
gururamnath

Free Turbo C++ (for win32)

Post by gururamnath » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 pm

Borland released a free version of Borland C++ Builder 2006 as Turbo C++.

It is much better and Lot less bloat compared to VC++ 2005.

http://www.turboexplorer.com/cpp

Since wx doesnt support it officially, we should create proejct files for this.

-Guru Kathiresan
Last edited by gururamnath on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-Rex

Post by T-Rex » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:13 pm

I'm going to download this in nearest future and try to build wxWidgets using its compiler. I think it should compile wxWidgets because the compiler of CBuilder6 does that (however BCB6 build of wxWidgets is quite buggy, and I hope that my problems will disappear with new compiler)

dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: Free Turbo C++ (for win32)

Post by dsilvia » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:23 am

gururamnath wrote:Borland released a free version of Borland C++ Builder 2006 as Turbo C++.

It is much better and Lot less bloat compared to VC++ 2005.

http://www.turboexplorer.com/cpp

Since wx doesnt support it officially, we should create proejct files for this.

-Guru Kathiresan
I'm not sure what 'less bloat' and 'better' mean, subjective, I suspect. It would seem from the download that it's every bit as huge as VC++ 2005. However, it has prereq's for .NET framework/J#/MSXML of all outdated superseded versions. I've had .NET framework 1.1 and 2.0 on my system in the past and it caused no end of havoc, especially with Microsoft Update. It played hell with games and such that didn't know what to use. Eventually, in an effort to bring everything up to date, it froze out my machine and I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro :cry: I believe I'll forego that pleasure this time! :roll:

At any rate, Borland seems to check specifically for version 1.1 of .NET Framework SDK and I have 2.0, so it won't install.

BTW, I was advised by Micro$ (at the cost of $35 for support) that it is not advisable to have both 1.1 and 2.0 on the same system and also unnecessary since 2.0 is a superset of 1.1.

If/when Borland decides it will be more flexible, then maybe it would make sense to use Turbo, but until then, it locks you into dated technology.

jmtcw,
Dave S.