awxLM licensing component

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

awxLM licensing component

Post by acsMike » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Hi there,
This is an official announcment of an unofficial component. I have not yet decided weather to go public with this component or not, or to sell it or give it away. Neither have I decided if it is going to be open source, or closed.

Most of all, I post this message to get some feedback on the further development of the wxWidgets "awxLM" component.

I have designed and implemented a portable copy protection system which I think is a decent alternative to "serial numbers" or "boolean acceptance" that is still in abundance everywhere. The licensing system was primarily designed for a new product called "ReValver Mk II" for both Windows and Mac. Had this been on Windows alone, I would probably stick with ASProtect which is not half bad, but I could find no alternative on Mac, at least not cheap.

This is how it works:
* This is not a code mangling, code encryption system, at least not yet. I have no knowledge how to do that on Mac.
* This is a system of information mangling and information encryption.
* Built-in 1024 bit public key RSA encryption engine, for use in the app or the awxLM component itself. (Also available, MD5, base64)
* Implemented as license files, i.e. information is stored in license file, encrypted using the programs own key. This file is delivered by the software author on purchase.
* You may lock a license to specific hardware components. As of now you can only lock to OS system drive, but the component can be augmented with any number of hardware types. (USB drives, processor, RAM etc...)
* Any number of license files in the same directory can be stacked up and form a more or less complete license.
* A "product activation" utility tool allows end user to hook up to developers web server and download license file. For computers with no Internet connection, a text file with instructions is generated.

Example implementation
In ReValver Mk II the main body of information encrypted in the delivered license file is actually a secondary RSA key, call it "the save key". The other half of that key "the load key" is already available in the program. The "save key" is used to save important encrypted data, for example settings, files, presets etc... The "load key" which is already available, even in demo mode enables the user to load any of the mentioned files. I.e ReValver Mk II is "save disabled" through encryption.

On other fronts, boolean values like "yes" or "no" is stored for quick checks if the program is licensed or not.

The license file of ReValver Mk II is generated with the same awxLM component, but compiled on Linux (headless) and hooked up via PHP to a web server. Using an SQL database, all users are tracked and allows for X number of hardware lock changes.

As I said, do what you wish with this announcement. It is not for sale (yet), and may or may not ever be. At least not without response from the wxWidgets community.

Take care, Michael.
/Michael Ljunggren, developer
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)

zhouhao
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zhouhao » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:36 pm

Very useful for some commercial software.Any news for it?

acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:45 pm

zhouhao wrote:Very useful for some commercial software.Any news for it?
The scheme was designed for an app which is going public mid-December 2006. I think it is prudent to let this program "evaluate" the usefulness of awxLM before deciding going public with it or not.

If it is released commercially, I expect the source to be released as well, and it is linking to a fair amount of proprietary components right now so I would have to "unlink" it first but it should not be a big problem.
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)

free8000
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

How about awxLM licensing component?

Post by free8000 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:34 pm

awxLM licensing component is very useful. When it will be released to public?

acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Re: How about awxLM licensing component?

Post by acsMike » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:55 pm

free8000 wrote:awxLM licensing component is very useful. When it will be released to public?
The first Windows product using awxLM was released in mid December 2006. A Mac product will be released in January.

It has been working very well. If the component is released publicly I wish to gain some more experience of the concept. I also want to "remove" proprietary dependences from the component. Further more; I have not decided if this is going to be open source or closed. The "algorithm" is not secret and "hacking awxLM" is not possible even with knowledge about the source, but I have not decided if I want to sell it or give it away.

March perhaps?

ReValver Mk II is using awxLM: http://www.alienconnections.com/products_revalverii.htm
Peavey Electronics

mydvaq
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Any new?

Post by mydvaq » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:54 am

Any news for awxLM?

gschafra
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Any news?

Post by gschafra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:39 am

I'm very interested in using this component for my own software projects. Any news for it? Any decision if it will be released as open or closed source?

acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Re: Any news?

Post by acsMike » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:24 am

gschafra wrote:I'm very interested in using this component for my own software projects. Any news for it? Any decision if it will be released as open or closed source?
Hello, some time ago this and other components where sold to a another party, and I have no longer the mandate to license it to 3:rd parties. This does not mean they are willing to license it, but for now, I recommend you look for another solution.
Peavey Electronics