wxAUI integrated into wxWidgets CVS

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

SnakeChomp wrote:Most projects that end up on SF simply rot. Although mine will be rotting as well, so there isn't much of a difference in that regard.
Being wxIFM is your project, that's all in your hands. It sounds like it will rot considering how little you seem to care about reviving active development on it, and applying other people's patches and contributions (such as Peer Sommerlund's layout saving code which he's just tossing at you to do something with it). If you're not going to take it anywhere, this thread seems to have brought out a number of fans of wxIFM that would be more than happy to take over as maintainer with your blessing. As Peer mentioned, forking it (as with any OSS project) comes with some huge costs, and in this case it's probably enough that it'd kill wxIFM and any fork in favor of people dropping all interest and just picking up wxAUI which is under active development, is getting the attention of all the wxWidgets developers now with it's addition to wxWidgets CVS, and is finishing up with some of the last major features required of a full window docking library.

On that note, we should really stop hijacking the wxAUI CVS announcement thread for this.
Game_Ender
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Re: wxAUI Tabs - first phase

Post by Game_Ender »

bwilliams wrote:I don't know if this is pertinent to the discussion that sprang up on this thread, but maybe you'd be interested in checking out our first crack at tabs in wxAUI. It's not the full deal yet, but we'll get there soon enough.
Awesome. Hopefully in several months I will be able to roll this into the current application I am working on.
Peer Sommerlund
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peer Sommerlund »

bwilliams wrote:... first crack at tabs in wxAUI. It's not the full deal yet, but we'll get there soon enough.
Good work Ben.

By the way, does the inclusion of wxAUI mean the exclusion of wxFL, the old docking toolkit found in contrib?
Peer Sommerlund
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Peer Sommerlund »

tierra wrote:... applying other people's patches and contributions such as Peer Sommerlund's layout saving code ...
Off topic, I know :oops: - but this patch is Huge's, not mine.

I have done some reverse engineering to understand wxIFM, so my desk has a few diagrams that could be thrown at new developers trying to work with wxIFM - however no real code so far.

I have mainly been active on the wiki and I'm also responsible for hinting the CodeBlocks community about wxAUI. :wink:
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

Peer Sommerlund wrote:By the way, does the inclusion of wxAUI mean the exclusion of wxFL, the old docking toolkit found in contrib?
I would guess that it would stay in contrib through 2.7 and a 2.8 release (if there is to be one) as there's no point in removing it for some time since it has stayed out of the way in contrib since conception. Even if it is removed, it wouldn't be hard to download a 2.6 release of wxWidgets with wxFL, change some project settings and build the library against future versions of wxWidgets with possibly some minor patches if needed.
Peer Sommerlund wrote:
tierra wrote:... applying other people's patches and contributions such as Peer Sommerlund's layout saving code ...
Off topic, I know :oops: - but this patch is Huge's, not mine.
Oops, sorry.
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Its probably best to redirect any wxIFM specific discussion to http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=7884, as its better than using the massive 1.0.5 thread.
bwilliams
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by bwilliams »

Peer Sommerlund wrote:
bwilliams wrote:... first crack at tabs in wxAUI. It's not the full deal yet, but we'll get there soon enough.
Good work Ben.

By the way, does the inclusion of wxAUI mean the exclusion of wxFL, the old docking toolkit found in contrib?
I doubt it, at least in the near future. I'm certain that after a year or so of bitrot, it will eventually leave the tree. There are still some applications that have build processes which rely on wxFL being where it is.

Nonetheless, I'll be happy what that code is gone. As a former wxFL user, I can still barely express how much wxFL made me pull my hair out. That's why wxAUI was written in the first place.

Best,
Ben